Question about mixing RAM chips..

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GMXMan, Jun 30, 2004.

1. GMXMan

GMXMan Private E-2

Bought new RAM for my new comp build, and wondering if I can mix it with my old RAM stick from around 2 years ago..

Both are Crucial, 512 RAM sticks.

New RAM stick is this.. Crucial 184 Pin 512MB DDR PC-3200 8T - OEM

As for the old RAM stick, just reading what it says on the sticker... 512MB, DDR, 266MHz, CL2.5

I think the new one says CL3 on the sticker.

Can I mix em? Thanks guys.

2. Omegamerc

Omegamerc MajorGeek

theres a good chance you can but the new stick will run alot slower

3. Radiofool

Radiofool Private First Class

The memory together will only run as slow as its weakest link. It seems almost a shame to 'clog' the new stick with the old slower one!

I'm pretty sure it will work though!

4. Robster12

Robster12 The Horse Whisperer

If you do try it, keep the slower one in slot 0 (It should be where it is now).

5. GMXMan

GMXMan Private E-2

Hmm.. so it would be overall worse with the second one in as well?

6. Robster12

Robster12 The Horse Whisperer

No.
    Its like this:
    With RAM of two different speeds on the board,
    then, the RAM (as a whole, if you will) can only run as fast as the SLOWEST stick.

So, it would be only as fast as the slowest stick, but the AMOUNT of RAM that you would have available would be bigger, and that is a Good Thing.

If BOTH sticks were of the faster speed, then the RAM, as a whole, would run at the faster speed, which would be a Better Thing.

:) :cool: :p ;) :)

7. GMXMan

GMXMan Private E-2

Hmm... Heh, kind of confusing. So what do you guys recommend? Which should I do?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds