Question about Motherboard

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Aspiring_Tech, Jan 3, 2011.

1. Aspiring_Tech

Aspiring_Tech Private E-2

hey friends, im currently the highest bidder on a BIOSTAR A880G+ AM3 AMD 880G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard...im thinking of building a Gaming PC, and wanted to hear your input on this motherboard, will it suit my needs? i will be getting a Phenom II X4 at some point in the coming weeks and a 500W PSU, so what do you guys think? any suggestions on a contrary, would greatly appreciate it.

Heres the link to the MB on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230568881612

2. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

I hope you've studied user reviews of that 'board. Biostar MBs don't have the best reputation but that price looks ok to me. I'd checkout a Phenom II X2 Black Edition with a view to unlocking/overclocking it, add 2x2 sticks of good DDR3 and a decent gfx card, it should be pretty good.

Good luck with your bid!

3. Aspiring_Tech

thanx for the quick response, i have in hand a GeForce 9800 GX2 1GB 512MB to add to it, would it help me a lil bit more?

*****EDIT****

I ALSO have the option to buy this MSI 770-C45 motherboard from CL for $50, but ill have to Drive 28 miles to get my hands on it, is it worth the trip or should i stick with the ebay one?

Heres the Link: http://longisland.craigslist.org/sys/2133615453.html

Last edited: Jan 3, 2011
  4. satrow

A 9800 GT is an ok gaming card still but a MB like that and an X2/4 @ 3.8 - 4Ghz is capable of driving much better cards; good upgrade potential, esp. if you use a very high-res. monitor.

EDIT:

The MSI MB may be better quality, 4x RAM slots will reduce costs when upgrading RAM in the future, the chipset is ok - but I've no idea if that 'board supports core unlocking like the Biostar (and many others do), if it does, you may need a specific BIOS to do so.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2011
  5. Aspiring_Tech

thanx for all the input youve given me satrow, apparently ive gotten outbidden on the biostar MB and according to bit-tech.com site forum it seems like MSI MB is core unlockable by BIOS flashing. think i may be worth the trip for the MSI MB, agreed?

6. satrow

I'd checkout some user feedback first - Newegg, for example - but check that the reports actually refer to the MB that they're supposed to - many are about similar boards by the same maker but not actually for the board on that page! You'll need to switch back and forth to the specs of your board to filter out the wrong feedback.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds