Question about Mozilla & Software firewall

Discussion in 'Software' started by jdoxakis, Aug 21, 2007.

1. jdoxakis

jdoxakis Private E-2

SO far I have written down everything in the Read Me & Run me sticky. A few questions before I go any further. I have Windows Vista (Hate it!). I have WIndows Dfender (hardware firewall im assuming) I read that I need a software firewall, which is the best one for Vista and is it compatible with Windows defender (or does the Defender have to be turned off???)

I also read that Mozilla would be a better browser than IE& (Which is what I have). My question is what do I after I install Mozilla? Uninstall IE7?

Im probably confusing you, Im not good with all this computer stuff--Will I be redirected to the Mozilla browser automatically or do I have to change my settings in internet options?

This is the biggest change I plan to make on my computer, I just want to know what Im doing and make sure I do it right without crashing my computer

2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Windows Defender is a malware removal type application. Its not a firewall, and def. not a hardware firewall at that ;)

Mozilla Firefox will suit you just fine, you do not need to change any settings, just download and install it. No, you do not remove IE7, you just stop using it.

It really boils down to browser preference these days. IE7 is quite a bit better than IE6, and better on Vista than Windows XP.

As for you hating Vista...to each their own, we all have our likes and dislikes :)

As for firewalls, I use the windows firewall, I'll let someone else give advice there.

3. jdoxakis

jdoxakis Private E-2

Oops thats right, my minds is kinda wandering at the moment. I do have the Windows Firewall (Hardware firewall im assuming) I get them confused.

Thank you for the reply!

4. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

No...you are talking about software. Hardware firewalls are....hardware.

5. Anon-b946935a51

Anon-b946935a51 Anonymized

You can have lots of browsers. I have IE, Opera, and Firefox. Get a better firewall than the one windows provides. MG gives good suggestions.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds