Question about Recovery CD and new harddrive

Discussion in 'Software' started by Ihatemy2000$computer, Mar 23, 2005.

1. Ihatemy2000$computer

Ihatemy2000$computer Private E-2

I'm relatively knowledgable about computers, but I've never installed windows and know very little about it so...
    I have (at least my computer's tech support people said) a deffective harddrive. I had a new one shipped to me and I'm getting it installed tomorrow. I assume I'll then have to install windows, correct?
    And if so, will my Recovery CD-ROM for Windows XP, which was sent with my computer, do everything necessary to install windows?
    Basically, I don't know if there is any difference between a windows recovery cd and a regular installation cd (my igonorance on this is glaring, no?? haha)
    Thanks in advance.

2. jujet84

jujet84 Master Sergeant

3. Fw190

Fw190 Lt. Anti-Social

it really depends on the make and model of your PC, some come with "restore" discs that load all of the software(this is your newer gateways,emachines), others had the restore partition on the hard drive (new HP's,compaqs, this system sucks if you lose a drive as you have nothing, contact the manufacturer, discs are about $15) or if you have a dell you probably just have all of the real discs. in that case see the eldergeek guide.

4. Ihatemy2000$computer

Ihatemy2000$computer Private E-2

Ummm well I guess the only way to find out will be to try the CD and see what happens.
    One last question about partitions. The way my computer is now, I have the A D and E drives for floppies and CDs and what not, and then my C drive. So to get the same set up, I do one partition...and moste likely, set that to maximum amount of space possible??

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds