Question about right-click "Send To..." menu

Discussion in 'Software' started by dlb, Aug 13, 2011.

1. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Is it possible to add custom folders to the right-click "Send To..." menu?

Here the scenario: I have a USB flash drive that I use VERY regularly, there are several folders on the flash drive that I use regularly. Is there any way to to add a 'sub menu' to the "Send To..." menu? For example: when I have the flash drive plugged in to the PC in question, it comes up as "Drive F:". So, what I'd like is to right click on a file, select "Send To...", select "Drive F:", and then have a sub menu open with a list of 3 or 4 folders on "Drive F:". Then I could send the file/folder to the specific folder on drive F:. It would be even better if it could work "virtually", meaning that even if the flash drive isn't plugged in, I could copy stuff to the folders in the "Send To > Drive F: > %foldername%" menu, and then as soon as the flash drive is plugged in, the stuff would copy over (probably with a prompt saying "such-n-such files are going to be copied to Drive F: folder %whatever%".

Did I make this clear? Is there a free tool to do this? Or should I start learning how to program?

Seems to me that this would be VERY helpful to MANY people out there....

If I need to clarify this a bit more, feel free to ask any questions. ;)

2. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

Hello dlb,
    In the run box, type sendto . Then in the menu bar click file>new>shortcut. The browse to want to want to add. When the flash drive is not connected there will be a question mark next to the drive. Also, you can add folders and subfolders from the flash drive to the send to menu. I do not think you can send the things virtually though.

3. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

As I'm also interested in this, I tried your suggestion, and get an access denied message. However, I verified that I have full access to the Sendto "shortcut" in my user folder (the message is, C:\Users\Myuseraccount\Sendto is not accessible. Access denied.).

4. dave.m

dave.m Private First Class

dlb,
    Is this any use to you if you have Vista or Win 7 installed:
    Copy To/Move To

5. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

You haven't said which OS, but in both XP and in Win 7, if I right click any file with a flash drive plugged in, and click Send To, my flash drive appears as one of the options, and if I click that I then get all the flash drive's folders to choose from. That's the default state, and apart from the virtual aspect seems to be what you are asking for, or am I misunderstanding? If you want to get it to show only selected folders on the flash drive then make those folders sub-folders of a 'Favorites' folder.

I have no idea how this could be done if the flash drive was not plugged in though, other than to send the file initially to a holding folder and use a sync program timed to sync say once an hour. To add a new folder to the Send To list (Win 7) -

Users\<User>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo and right click to add a folder

6. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

:-o Yeah - should have mentioned that I have 64bit Win7 Home Premium (but it's listed in my sig at the bottom of my first post, I think it is anyway?)

WOW! so many suggestions! It seems that there's a definite need for what I'm/we're trying to do.

I don't want to use a "sync" program or a scheduled back-up program. Why? No real reason, I simply don't want to! :crybaby LOL
    Unless there's a back-up or sync program that will launch upon the insertion of the flash drive and will then copy to the folders on the flash drive. I can't use a timed/scheduled sync/backup becausethe flash drive may not be plugged in at the time of the scheduled sync/backup.

I'll check out some of the suggestions posted above . . . in the meantime, if anyone has any input, feel free to post!

Thanks to all that replied! :dood

Last edited: Aug 14, 2011
  7. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

@ dave.m - thanks for the link. I haven't check it out fully, but it looks promising. It may take a day or two for my lazy butt to get around to trying it, but once I do, I'll be sure to post my results.

I truly believe this would be VERY helpful for many people.... if someone works at (for example) a law office, and through-out the day, they come across some documents that they don't have time to review, but will review them at home. When one of these documents comes up, they could simply right-click > Send To > virtual folder. Then at the end of the day, just pop in the flash drive, listen for the "GLONK!" of a successful USB device plugged in, a message would come up "Files are ready to be copied to %foldername(s)% on Drive X:. Continue?" and they'd click OK or cancel.... I guess it would be very similar to the built-in CD burning feature in XP: you can send stuff to a CD/DVD burner even if there's no disc in the drive, the files even 'survive' a reboot.... this is the kind of functionality that I'm talking about, except with a bit flexibility, meaning that you could use different folders on the same drive.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2011
  8. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

That was why I suggested hourly syncs. There are no consequences from a scheduled sync failing because the destination cannot be found, other than a log entry, so scheduled hourly syncs should eventually complete the copy operation when the drive is available.

This would do what you say you want, though it seems to me you are looking for more than mere functionality since you could achieve basically what you want with nothing more than a desktop folder into which you drag and drop anything you want to read later. ;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds