Question about setting up wireless internet connection

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by runfromabear, Dec 19, 2012.

1. runfromabear

runfromabear Private First Class

Hello, I could use a hand once again and had a question about setting up a wirleless internet connection on my work computer.

I just bought a Wireless N 300 D-Link Router. I am trying to configure it so I can have it sitting in my office and wirelessly get my internet connection from it, without having any additional wire or cords on my desk.

I am having problems getting it set up (because it keeps saying connect this to your modem ect -I don't have a modem). Did I buy the right piece of equipment? Or I am just not hooking it up right.

I am not sure what other information you might need but lmk and I will try to provide you with it.

2. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

One warning here......most companies will not allow unmanaged wi-fi devices on their network as it could be a large risk to security. Check with your network administration people first!!!

Connect your WAN connection, the yellow one, to your work network. The instructions are likely assuming that you are setting up the router for a home network. What is really happening is that the router wants to get an IP address on the WAN port from some DHCP device. In a home network the modem provides the path to acquire that IP address. In your case a DHCP server on your work network will supply that address to your router.

3. runfromabear

Sorry for the confusion, but I don't have a work network. I just have the D-Link I described above, my laptop & my WAN cable that runs the internet. Can I set up my computer so that it will access a wireless internet signal from the D-Link so that I don't have to plug the WAN cable directly in my computer?

I know it can be done because this is how it was previously set up until to old machine or died. I am just not sure how to set it back up this way. Sorry, if my descriptions sound confusing but computer terminology is not one of my strong points.

4. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

Power off your cable modem, router and laptop. Take the cable that now goes from your modem to your laptop and place it into the WAN port of the router. Then take a cable from your laptop and plug it into one of the other four ports. Power up the cable modem, wait 30 seconds then the router and wait 30 seconds finally the laptop. Configure the wireless on the router (ssid etc.). Disconnect the cable from your laptop to the router and away you go wirelessly.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2012
  5. runfromabear

Ok, that is what I am looking for! I will probably not a chance to try it until tomorrow since there is a huge snowstorm here in Canada and I am currently not in my office.

6. runfromabear

I have the network set up and configured but for some reason I it is still will not connect to the internet. My internet cord is plugged directly into the internet spot on the back of the D-Link but after fiddling around with some a the settings a little bit I still haven't had any luck. Any suggestions?

7. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

You did power everything off first and then followed the power up sequence???

If not, I suggest powering everything off and following the sequence.

8. runfromabear

As best as I could. I don't have a cable modem. Just the router and my laptop.

9. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

If you have no cable modem what device gets you on to the Internet???

Where does your WAN cable come from????

10. runfromabear

Well, I guess there is a box outside of the building that the internet cable runs in from. Is that what you mean by the cable modem?

11. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

Don't know have not heard of that setup.

At any rate try to power off your router and power it back on and see if anything changes. Your Internet light on the router should be green.

12. cabbiinc

cabbiinc Staff Sergeant

If the router came with an installation CD I'd start there. Sounds like you have a LAN line feeding you internet (an ethernet cable, looks like an oversized phone plug). What you'll likely have to do is connect everything by wire at first to set things up, then with the laptop connected via wire to your router configure the wifi in both the router and the laptop. Once that's all done you should be able to disconnect the wire and just go with wifi.

I highly suggest that you make sure this isn't going to lead to issues with your job. I'd hate to hear that you've been fired for opening an unsecured wifi hotspot into the company mainframe allowing for unauthorized access to sensitive files.

13. runfromabear

That is exactly the setup I have -A LAN line feeding my internet! The problem with the startup CD is that it assumes I have a modem box, which I do not. I think that the the router has been configured, although some instructions on how to do that manually might be helpful.

I have the network set up, named, secured etc. It is just that last hurtle of connecting my LAN cord to the D-Link box and been able to access things wirelessly that is not working as of yet. I til haven't been able to get the internet light on the the D-Link box to come on.

Secuity is not an issue. Iti s only being setup for a church and most of the time by computer will bethe only one on the network. I just need to be able to access it from several different rooms on my laptop.

Thanks for your patience amd not making me feel to stupid becuase I don't have a clue what I am doing LOL! Perhaps, if I don't get it set up soon I will call upon a professional for help.

14. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

The reason you are likely not getting the Internet light is because the router is unable to obtain an IP address from the DHCP server of your ISP.

One reason for this can be your ISP has retained the MAC address of your computer and will not accept the new MAC address of the router. You can give a call to your provider and they will be able to reset the connection so the router will be able to obtain and IP address on their network.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds