Question about setting window sizes in Internet Explorer

Discussion in 'Software' started by dlb, Sep 30, 2010.

1. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

I have a very picky client. He's running IE8 with Vista Home Premium SP2. When IE is launched, the home page opens full screen which is perfect; that's what we want. However, if a link is clicked that opens in a new window, it always opens in smaller window. I have a screen shot below to illustrate what I'm talking about. I've looked around the IE settings and can't seem to find any place where it says "open full screen" or something similar. To 99.7% of the people on Earth that use IE, having a new window opening up not maximized is a non-issue, but my client is VERY picky (he actually tried to blame my installation of MalwareBytes on his PC for "causing" this "problem").

(yeah - I know the text in the screen shot is squashed, I had to shrink the shot by approx 50% to get it to upload due to file size limits, but you don't need to read anything in the screen shot to understand what it illustrates)

Attached Files:

2. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Good luck with that one dlb - but just remember the customer is always right :-D

3. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Expand the window to full size. Then close it. Windows should then continue to open new windows as full screen. ( Maybe ....LOL )

4. itmortiz

itmortiz Corporal

No, i did that in my pc doesn't works... :p

I searched a lot but i didn't found in options anything like that you need.

Maybe with IE 6 is possible... :-D not kidding :eek:

Last edited: Sep 30, 2010
  5. itmortiz

itmortiz Corporal

/////////EDIT:

It is possible... finally i found a way.

Half of the true.

If you manually resize the window of the IE until you fill the screen it will save the configuration for the next windows.

So, go manually resize to adjust the IE window to the screen, after that out using File > Exit, (do not use the red X)

I found that trick here:

http://www.theeldergeek.com/maximize_internet_explorer.htm

I didn't had to do the shift and control stuff, just manually resize, exit using the menu option and open it again.

cheers.

6. samtal

samtal Corporal

Have you tried this?

The next time you get one of the smaller windows, maximize it by clicking on the 'maximize' button on the top-right of the window. Once you have the window maximized, hold down the shift key, then while holding down the shift key, close the window by clicking on the 'close' button on the top-right of the window. Proceed to close all of your other IE windows as well. If all goes well, the next time you get a webpage link it should be maximized.

7. itmortiz

itmortiz Corporal

I guess that is explained in the link i posted before, but manually resizing the window of IE and using the exit option in "File > Exit" also works.

8. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

;)................:major

9. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Did not work. I followed the steps in the link too, using CTRL and again using SHIFT and neither of those methods worked either.

10. itmortiz

itmortiz Corporal

Is weird, it worked at all in my pc, even in my house with IE8.

The only different was in the work, i restored the default config of IE.

Tools > Internet Options > Advanced options > re-establish

Maybe the big difference is the SO, cuz i have XP, i'll test in the 7 that i have in a virtual in work, tomorrow.

Keep us up to date if you can.

cheers.:zzz

11. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

This is old. It is from Fred Langa and he posted it longer before IE 8 came out so I'm not sure it will work. He said to open two browser windows and size them to the size you want and the next time the windows will open to that size. I have no idea why he said you have to do two windows. So, it might be worth a try to resize two additional windows from the home page then close everything and see if IE remembers what you want.

12. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Thanks for all the input, but I never could get the end result we were shooting for. I told my client "that's just the way it is" to which he responded "it bugs me because it has always opened that way and I hate it". This implies that the "problem" existed before I installed MBAM which he previously tried to say was the reason the windows didn't open full screen. Geeeez. :banghead I solved numerous other non-issues for him and he's happy.... so thanks again for the help everyone!

(this is yet one more reason to use Firefox or Opera! LOL )

13. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

I tried all those tips in several different machines and had no success at all. Tell him to try Chrome ;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds