question about space saving file compression

Discussion in 'Software' started by red death68, Feb 24, 2009.

1. red death68

red death68 Command Sergeant Major

my dad has 8.56gigs of data on my hardrive and wont let me delete it so i was going to compress it to save space but i was wondering a few things

first - what is the best program to do this with

second - what is the average run time for that much data

third - are there any other solutions on how to lesson the amount of data it takes besides compression

2. red death68

problem still major inconvenience can anyone help?

3. red death68

any suggestions people?

4. Puppywunder58

Puppywunder58 Master Sergeant

Hi Red,

You could try 7-Zip, available on the MG download site.

5. Puppywunder58

Puppywunder58 Master Sergeant

Hi Red,
    It's me again. Is this one contiguous file, like a program or a video file? Or are there many files that can be put into separate folders and then burned onto multiple DVD's/CD's? Then re-inserted later.

6. red death68

they are kinda fragmented but they are primarly 2 wmv and a lot of avi files there my dads so i cant delete and i dont have a disk for them

so u see my dilema compression is taking forever with 256mb of ram and its still huge

7. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Sorry, red death68 but no compression program can make these files smaller. Wmv and Avi are already so compressed that a program such as WinZip or WinRar or 7zip will not make them any smaller.

It doesn't matter how much RAM or CPU power you have wmv and avi are already as compressed as they can be. WinRar might take a 750mb wmv file and make it 749mb but that is it. It would probably take about 10-20 minutes. But you will realize no appreciable savings in space.

The only solution is to burn the files to CD/DVD disc or get a larger HD.

Sorry, I don't have better news. :(

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds