Question About WinXP 'Backup' Function

Discussion in 'Software' started by earsz, Feb 19, 2008.

1. earsz

earsz Private E-2

I don't need a solution (too late), I'm just seeking information. In preparing to reinstall Windows XP Home, I manually copied a number of files onto an external hard drive on which I already had copied several files as backup copies from both of two computers. I also used WinXP's "backup" function to copy "My Documents" and certain other material to the external hard drive. When it came time to restore files after the reinstall, all the backup files I had copied over the last two months manually that had been on that external ard drive were gone.

Apparently, the WinXP backup function cleared all previous material on my external hard drive. I know some "cloning" programs DO clear any files on the device to which the "cloned" copy is sent. Does WinXP do so? It's the only explanation I can think of, since there's still plenty of room on the external hard drive, but there was no warning that it would happen. Certain files were on the hard drive before using "backup"; they were gone after using "backup."

In any event, I have permanently lost files I had attempted to preserve, and I may have to use this sequence again _ so I want to know what to expect if I use WinXP's "backup" function. Does anyone know whether it clears the device to which it feeds its backup? (I could experiment ... but I'm still fixing my two machines, siiigh) :cry

2. earsz

earsz Private E-2

Thanks, Steve _ that's a great article. Since it talks about scheduling periodic backups, it implies that a new backup won't wipe out a previous one or other files on the receiving device, but it doesn't say so.

3. Cmdr Chill

Cmdr Chill Private First Class

Wow, I didn't even know Windows XP had a backup utility. Thanks guys.

4. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

I think the problem here is incorrect selection of various options in Windows Backup utility. You have various "Backup types" to choose from; this includes Normal, Differential, and Incremental. You also have an option to choose to "Append this backup to the media" or "Replace the data on the media with this backup".

I use Windows Backup utility but, still, I'll confess I find myself having to re-think the distinction between these options sometimes. It can be confusing. So, again, I suspect you haven't chosen the right options.

5. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

See comments in my previous post. It's not as simple as you say here. The article does not fully cover the various features/options you need to be aware of.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds