=Question concerning PSU/7600gt

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by *WavyGravy*, Jun 8, 2006.

1. *WavyGravy*

*WavyGravy* Corporal

Hello peeps, when I bought my new gfx card from Newegg there was a requirement that said...

Minimum of a 350 Watt power supply.
    (Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 18 Amp Amps.)
    Minimum 400 Watt for SLI mode system.
    (Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 24 Amp Amps.)

Now, I have a 350 Watt powersupply so I bought the card, But when it arrived I opened the box on the side clearly written it stated...

Minimum of a 400 Watt power supply

Minimum 450 Watt for SLI mode system.

So, will this be bad for my card or pc? The card runs great but bottlenecks here and there. Any comments will be welcomed. Should I just return it?

~Wavy~

2. *WavyGravy*

*WavyGravy* Corporal

Bump...

3. *WavyGravy*

*WavyGravy* Corporal

Re: =Question concerning PS/7600gt

When I ran FEAR, the game ran well but there were no words being shown just characters and other graphics. After playing Oblivion for a awhile the screen just went black and I had to restart the game. Is all this caused by having a weak powersupply?

~--wAVy--~

4. mulletgut

mulletgut Private First Class

What do you mean by this matey?
    I wouldn't return the card, but if I was running more than one HDD and more than one optical drive and started to see video issues I would upgrade the PSU.
    If it runs okay it runs okay. It will only draw more power and give you dramas if it is working hard. If you are happy with it's performance thus far, why return it?

5. *WavyGravy*

*WavyGravy* Corporal

Well, like I said while playing FEAR all the words( Launch, Back, Multiplayer, Option etc...) had all disapeared. The characters( Me and other mutli players could be seen quite well) were still there but all the words from the game were non existent. While running Oblivion, after roaming around the land for about 10 minutes the whole screen just went completely dark. I rebooted and tried to run it again with the same result. This never happened with my 6600gt, so I reinstalled it.

Are these problems caused by the powersupply? Or is it just a faulty card? Newegg clearly states the card requires a 350watt but when I recieved the box it said 400watt was the minimum.

Thx for the reply:)

~W_av_Y~

6. *WavyGravy*

*WavyGravy* Corporal

The bottlenecking I mean is some games do some studdering.

~w_AV_y~

7. *WavyGravy*

*WavyGravy* Corporal

Whats a good 24pin PS? A cheap one anyway....Will I need different connectors for PCI-e hardware?

~wavY~

8. *WavyGravy*

*WavyGravy* Corporal

bump.....:confused:

9. mulletgut

In all seriousness Wavy, with the rig you have, you really have to get a decent power supply. It would probably be the most skimped on bit of hardware installed in systems.
    It's important to give a good constant (reliable) voltage to the parts that need it. Get yourself a good quality PSU like antec, have a sqwizz over at toms hardware. Get a 500W, quality PSU and you won't look back.

10. *WavyGravy*

*WavyGravy* Corporal

Yeh, thats defintely a major factor. What say you to this....

http://www.coolerguys.com/840556056560.html

~W-Av-Y~

11. mulletgut

I'm not into the whole lighting thing, and i haven't got time to look for reviews, but on face value that seems fine.
    Let us know how the psu upgrade changes things.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds