Question on a build-your-own PC

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gr00m, Mar 23, 2006.

1. gr00m

gr00m Private E-2

This is my first build-your-own computer and I have a question before boot and install windows. First, here's the specs:

ABIT AN8 32X Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI X16 ATX AMD Motherboard
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Manchester 1GHz HT 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket 939 Dual Core Processor
    AOpen 91.05210.45H Geforce 6800GT 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card
    Western Digital Raptor WD740GD 74GB 10,000 RPM 8MB Cache Serial ATA150 Hard Drive
    CORSAIR XMS 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit System Memory

After I assemble the box, is there anything I need to do to before booting to install windows or am I able to just put it togeather and start installing windows? - granted all the hardware is assembled correctly :)

2. InYearsToCome

InYearsToCome MajorGeek

Nope-- Aside from Configuring the BIOS and making sure the hardware monitor is showing decent temps (meaning the heatsink is working properly)

Almost all modern motherboards are Jumper-Free, meaning every option is controlled in the BIOS, so thats all there is to do before formatting and installing windows. If you want to save yourself some time though, I'd get Western Digitals hard drive tools and partition/format that way, as it is much faster than formatting through Windows Setup.

3. gr00m

gr00m Private E-2

Okay, well I've configured the BIOS before, but only on older machines adding a new HD where you've physically had to enter the size, # blocks (or just turning it to auto), etc..

What should I be looking for when configuring this, anything specifically?

4. asturnacle

asturnacle Private E-2

groom;

I would advise just make sure that u have the a good heat sink and fan on the processor mechnically and that the processor voltage is as stated on the top of the chip matches the mo board supply voltage to the chip.

as In years to come, watch the temp on the processor and all else is one step at a time and it will work fine.
    good building
    asturnacle

5. InYearsToCome

InYearsToCome MajorGeek

not so much, just basic options to indicate what you're using (ie.. initialiaze PCI-E video card before on-board or PCI if that option is there... make sure CPU is recognized correctly... set Manual RAM timings if you know the rated speed at DDR400 or whatever you are running it al..) that kind of stuff.

i would say all newer hard drives auto-recognize in the BIOS, so you wouldnt have to enter any info manually.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds