question on cables and signal loss.....

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by djtool, Sep 6, 2004.

1. djtool

djtool Private E-2

I'm hoping to be moving in to a house later this year and when I *finally get to have a computer room I might, for fun, make a desk that houses computer components in convenient places. Long story longer, I'm wondering how many feet of cable before the trasmission quality between harddrives, cd drives, etc. starts to suffer.

thx in advance for any help.

2. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

Cat5 I believe is 100 yards
    IDE I have never seen longer than 36", I thought I read over 24" not reccomended
    Round IDE longest Ive seen 24"
    Sata longest Ive seen 36", I thought I read not reccomended over 18"
    Longer cables in general will result in voltage drop,which could result in shorter life span of said hardware, not sure How that would effect PC hardware cables etc.

But, Im no expert.
    So just Keep your desk to 3' youll be fine, LOL

When your done might make good thread in the Cooling And Modding page, dont forget to include some pictures.

3. djtool

djtool Private E-2

gotta get some confirmation on acceptable cable length first.

we have an extra fridge around too. I have a spare computer I was thinking for fun I might throw the motherboard in there to see what that'd be like...Once I come up with an acceptable solution to staving off condesation.

4. FinalJason823

FinalJason823 Private E-2

The fridge might be a little too cold though, but the idea of the PC built right into the desk has been done a couple of times and generally turns out being very cool. The coolest version I've seen yet was one with two motherboards and everything built into the top of a desk with a monitor splitter,mouse/keyboard splitter, and I believe some sort of set up to split the speakers too, and a glass top over all that so you could see both motherboards, and of course like 12 fans all the way around. It was very creative. Let me know how yours turns out too.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds