QUestion on heat monitoring such as Everest Home Edition...

Discussion in 'Software' started by LoneGreyWolf20, Aug 11, 2005.

1. LoneGreyWolf20

LoneGreyWolf20 Private First Class

Okay, I have been using Everest Home Edition to monitor the heat in my system and I am a bit confused by it. According to Everest, my CPU is at 32C and Aux is 65c to 68c. What exactly is Aux? I am thinking it's auxillary, but it has a picture of a monitor next to it. Could it be monitoring my Graphics card temperature? Anyone have any experience with Everest Home Edition? Using SiSoftware says my CPU is 32c and my board is 69c. So is Aux the board itself? How could the board be 69c and the CPU lower than that when the CPU is the biggest heat maker on it? This is all while playing World of Warcraft btw.

2. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

It appears to me that your sensors are being misidentified.

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

as JP said, sounds like they are being mis-read, if you enter your Bios check temps their for a slightly more accurate result ( if your Bios supports Temp Monitoring )

also most motherboard suppliers have their own tool for checking temps.. check their downloads.

4. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

5. kruelo14

kruelo14 Private E-2

I personally do not use Everest because it gave me the wrong readings about my computers temp. It was saying that my CPU's temp was at 60-65*C and that was definantly way off considering I had just bought this computer. So I got PC Wizard 2005 and it gave me tyhe proper readings at 30*C. But now PC Wizard is giving em problems with an error message.

6. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

Generally, newer processors do run hotter than the older ones. It also depends on the load, the cooling fan used, airflow in the case, general cleanliness, and possibly few minor things I might be missing.

7. theefool

theefool Geekified

Also, looking at the cpu temps within bios will of course be different, due to the fact that there is nothing putting a load on the system.

8. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

True... should have mentioned a better result from the bios would be if you run your pc for an hour or so at normal daily use, then reboot straight away so CPU doesnt get chance to cool too much.

All of the apps out their to test temps all have various degrees of accuracy, only true way to test is with proper equipment.

MBM is good but now that its not had update for a while it doesnt support the newer mobos fully and even when it was updated and supported it did take a bit of tinkering with to give near accurate results ( My Gigabyte mobo was once such one.. needed different sensor for CPU than program originally reported )

kruelo14 ~ who says PC Wizard 2005's figure is correct or is it one you want to believe? buying a new PC doesnt automatically give you cooler temp or a JP said are we missing some fundamental details of your PC ( Water, LN2 or Fluorinert cooled )

9. LoneGreyWolf20

LoneGreyWolf20 Private First Class

Unfortuneatly that link is giving me a page can not be found error.

To give an idea of my system, my MB is a ECS L4SA82 board. I have a CPU fan/heatsink, 2 case fans blowing in from the rear of the case, a side fan blowing out and the PSU fan. I'm not sure how I would get an accurate reading from the BIOS since I get these temps while playing WoW. I know taht my temps are going to go up since WoW is putting a strain on my system, but to get an accurate reading would by nigh impossible considering power down time and everything. I know that just from watching the temps with Everest as soon as I quit out of WoW, my temps drop right down in a few seconds. Booting out of Windows and getting to BIOS takes a little longer than that, so the temps will have dropped by the time I got to it.

I am going to see if I can try and get this MBM 5 link to work or find it somewhere else and give it a go.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds