Question on install disks

Discussion in 'Software' started by brandypeppy, Apr 2, 2010.

1. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

I'm planning on buying a new lappy, Win7 and all that'

I've checked a few big box stores, and none of them include the install disks. I really prefer to have the original Win7 disks over some recovery disks. Is there ANY place to buy a computer where you get the actual MS Win7 install disks anymore?:confused:confused:confused

2. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

This doesn't help someone who wants to buy off the shelf, but you can usually specify to an OEM manufacturer that you prefer that they do not include an OS when ordering, and this might save you enough $ to buy the OS on your own....?

I know where you're coming from, though. I'd like to have install disks on hand for working on customer machines, I mean, it's the license you're paying for, and not the software or media, right? The only way I know of keeping on top of install disks is to either buy them retail, or have an MSDN subscription, or (eek) pirate, which are all too expensive/risky options for someone who isn't actually going to use the install! :-D

3. Burrell

Burrell MajorGeek

Nope, well not that I've seen for a long while!

As above, you may be able to ask them not to include OEM OS and then buy it independently yourself. But that will cost more!

4. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

Okay, so if you are having problems, how do you run the SFC /scannow:confused

5. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Good question. I've heard of ways of having SFC use your recovery partition as a source, so I went on a hunt, and found this.

This is recommending that you extract the I386 folder to your hard drive (if you don't have already), and edit the registry to use that folder as a file source instead of the CD-ROM drive.

Might be worth experimenting with, if you're brave/backed up enough. :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds