question on over clocking my Barton

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lubetek, Apr 28, 2006.

1. lubetek

lubetek Private First Class

Well I have been out of the loop w/ over clocking for quite some time. Sure I do a minor CPU over clock but nothing special.

I'm running a Abit KD7 KT400 mobo, a Barton 2500+ 333MHz 512k cache,
    and two sticks of Mushkin PC3200 ram. (both sticks are 1GB each)

I just installed a BFG 7800 GS OC AGP.

I'm running my 2500+ @ 3000+ with crappy cooling. The only thing I did was change the multiplyer. Dram is running at 166MHz (333MHz)

Now if I run the DRAM at 400MHz I will most likely get a performance hit because the CPU is still running at 333MHz bus.

Does anyone know if these Bartons can run @ 400MHz?

The key to getting the most out of an over clock is having the CPU bus and Dram running synchronous with each other.

as it is I'm running my 400MHz memory at 333MHz with my CPU bus.

if I change my Dram speed to 400MHz to match my Ram rating then the CPU and Memory will be running asynchronous and I will get a performance hit.

any help would be sweet if you have experience. I'm gonna start playing with it tonight. if you don't mind what voltages are you running as well?

2. ACE 256

ACE 256 MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Overclocking Expe

All bartons can take 400FSB + ( assuming its unlocked and the X is lowered as the FSB is raised ) my old mobile barton ran 533 FSB just fine. Also in your rig pure clock speed is your main bottleneck in gaming, your 7800 is spending most of its time waiting on the CPU... As long as your ram can take DDR 400 run 400 FSB, as long as your barton is unlocked. And for a good barton 2.4 GHz is a nice goal to set.

3. lubetek

well the only thing they lock is the multiplyer so I don't have to worry about that. I have been running mine with a higher X for ever. It's just a matter of upping the bus now.

4. TollhouseFrank

TollhouseFrank Private First Class

up the bus and definately up the cooling! I remember my barton cookin' cheese sandwiches! (did it as an experiment... LOL.... i was much younger, dumber, and richer at the time).....

But seriously..> Barton's are massive heat producers. Get some extra cooling on that sucker! Even if all you do is add a blower to the front of the case to blow cool air in, and a fan/slot cooler in the back to suck the hot air out.... that'll help a lot...

5. lubetek

well I have two high RPM intakes and two high rpm exhaust fans. All 80mm so my case cools nicely. My HS/F sucks though. I actually have a nice one that I put together but it's so heavy that it pulls on the socket. I had it installed on my NF2 mobo and it messed up the mobo. Its a pure copper heatpiped cooler master with a funnel and 92mm Tornado. Right now I'm using one of my oldest HS/F's to cool my 2500+ (Thermaltake Dragon Orb 3) I bought it to over clock my 1GHz AXIA back in the day. I'm looking for a nice cooler to pick up. I'm looking at a Thermalright Si-97 at the moment. I hear it works well. I'd put a 92mm tornado on it.

6. TollhouseFrank

TollhouseFrank Private First Class

Hmm... I used to use a Thermaltake Volcano 12+ on my old Barton. It was sure heavy, but it worked great

7. lubetek

I picked up a Gigabyte G-Power pro HS/F. It is the same exact design as the
    Thermalright Si-97 but it has a bigger fan. Also it works with most sockets:
    K7, K8 and P4 sockets as well. I plan on buying a 3800+ X2 and 939 mobo soon so this HS/F can go on it np.

8. BubbaTheHut

BubbaTheHut Private E-2

As stated before Bartons do go to a 400mhz FSB. The 3200+ comes stock with a 400 mhz FSB. The only problem your going to run in to doing this is that your motherboard doesnt support a 400mhz FSB. The KT400 series motherboars where suposed to be able to do a 400mhz fsb but VIA never ended up doing the 400mhz fsb tell the KT600 series motherboards. I would recoment getting a NForce 2 chipset based motherboard if you want to do a 400mhz fsb and higher. For now your mother board should be able to go to around 180mhz (360mhz) FSB.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds