Question on passwording a website

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kitsune, Jul 11, 2005.

1. Kitsune

Kitsune Private E-2

I asked this on another forum and somebody said that I'd probably get more answers here, so I'm counting on you guys ;)

*copy+paste*

Well people at school have got ahold of my domain space and are always rummaging around my stuff, is there any way I could password the actual folder page (www.thereisnogod.co.uk), but leave any files like www.therisnogod.co.uk/dig.jpg unpassworded?

I just don't want people from school going through my stuff.

It's not too interesting...maybe that's because I can't upload interesting stuff because people from school will find a way to use it against me somehow :p

2. Kitsune

Kitsune Private E-2

Weird, these forums don't allow editing of original posts. I just had to add I'd like to make sure people can't access the folder, but I can still direct people to specific files without requiring a password. I'm sure it's possible, but I don't know how :(

Noticed another mistake, my bad ^^; it's supposed to be www.thereisnogod.co.uk/dig.jpg

3. noahawk

noahawk Corporal

Welcome, welcome.

If you put an index.html or index.htm page in the top level (also called "root") folder , it would not display the folder contents automatically. If for some reason the index.* page doesn't work, then maybe a default.html or default.htm would do it. Sometimes it depends on what OS the webserver is running... (Or that how it was the last time I looked into this.) Then it wouldn't need a password, and all the direct to file links would still be available.

Also, the time span to edit a post is either 3 or 5 minutes, after that, you're out of luck.

4. Kitsune

Kitsune Private E-2

Thank you thank you thank you, just what I needed, behold :D

http://www.thereisnogod.co.uk/
    http://www.thereisnogod.co.uk/dig.jpg ^^

5. noahawk

noahawk Corporal

So adding that picture to the index page and the quote "Stop digging through my stuff" is out of the question, right? :D

Or should we just forget I posted that?? :D

6. Kitsune

Kitsune Private E-2

Good idea, let me just go edit the index page ^_^

7. Kitsune

Kitsune Private E-2

8. noahawk

noahawk Corporal

Looks good. That will deter them.

And here I thought I'd only give one suggestion today, ah well, I can take it easy tomorrow then.

And we're here when you need us.

9. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

10. jritzee

jritzee Private E-2

also depending on the hosting you can password protect, I use cpanel threw bluehost.com and i can password protect any folder i want :D

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds