Question on Windows Genuine Advantage

Discussion in 'Software' started by jimpeel, Jun 30, 2007.

1. jimpeel

jimpeel Sergeant

If the program can detect what is genuine could it not also be used to prevent the download of third party programs which are not Windows certified?

I use certain software that is freeware and is not Windows certified, and even says so when I install it on the computer; but it gives me a choice as to whether I wish to continue the installation or not.

Since the power to control is the power to deny, couldn't Windows Genuine Advantage simply be used to deny all non-Windows certified software from being installed on my (your) computer?

I have not, by the way, chosen to install WGA on my computer -- yet.

2. SkunkWorks

SkunkWorks Private E-2

The only thing WGA will prevent from installing is Microsoft stuff it does not for any third party software at least none that I know of. If you don't want to install WGA you can go to www.softwarepatch.com to get critical updates for Windows and install them yourself

3. jimpeel

jimpeel Sergeant

Thanks. That works for me.

I was simply wondering about the future. Creeping incrementalism doesn't happen all at once.

4. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

It is even worse in Vista.
    Unfortunately, you might not get all the updates that Microsoft produce, so ensure your antivirus/adaware/spybot/firewall's etc: ARE up to date.
    Although it is Microsoft's way of protecting it's income, and anti piracy,it is also an intrusion, and might lead to more people trying out the competitors (mostly free) like Linux.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds