Question re video card or HDMI - VGA

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mladyraven, Jan 21, 2012.

1. mladyraven

mladyraven Corporal

Just returned from a trip out of town. I was mugged and robbed and needed to get away until he was caught.

I have a 3 year old computer, I just put a new HD in it. I am buying a 32 inch TV for when my grandson who has Autism can watch when he is over. I do not have cable I watch online using Netflix , Hulu, etc.

Question.. Computer only has VGA port. TV has HDMI port. I have been told different things by the salesman.
    One said HDMI - VGA will give me picture but not sound and not a great picture. Another said that would not work at all. He wanted to sell me a converter box that cost 100 dollars plus I would have to buy HDMI cable.

Another said, change video card, when I asked I was told I would have to change video card and power supply.
    They all said cords on Amazon will not work.
    Another spoke about a RGB/VGA cable.

Any inexpensive suggestions that will work?
    I am using up most of my funds on the 32 inch LCD TV.
    I am a senior , I am not that computer savvy.
    Help please.
    If this is in the wrong place please move. Sorry!
    Thank you. :(

2. LoneW0lf

LoneW0lf Private E-2

3. mladyraven

mladyraven Corporal

Salesmen at Best Buy and Frys said they do not work I need the 100 dollar complete set. I need to know if anyone has done this and what exactly you need. I looked at the one you mentioned already but it only had 3 stars. Thanks for the help!

4. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

Unfortunately, this is a case of you get what you pay for. Although cheap converters are available, they often provide marginal to poor video quality.

Although a bit more expensive ($50), something like this would likely be your best bet.

http://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters...6?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1327189819&sr=1-6

Hope this helps. :)

PS: Don't get ripped off on an overpriced HDMI cable. The ones for $4 at Amazon work just as well as the $39 ones at Best Buy.

5. mladyraven

mladyraven Corporal

Thank you, so, I would need to buy this product as well as a HDMI cable. Would it still be HDMI to VGA cable or HDMI to HDMI? This product would make my TV work as a monitor for me TV and I would have sound? I was thinking to buy and HDMI to VGA and then just use the computer speakers would that work or this is a better though more costly option? Thank you. Raven!

I think this would be better then me trying to buy a new video card, power supply and putting them both in my 3 year old Dell. I am not sure I can do it. Dell told me to do this, Fry and Best Buy told me to buy the 100 dollar machine!

Last edited: Jan 21, 2012
  6. LoneW0lf

LoneW0lf Private E-2

If your referring to gman863 link then all you should need is just the HDMI cable.Make sure you`ve got a long one though if your tv is far away from your computer.

7. mladyraven

mladyraven Corporal

I don't know what that is? My TV will be 10 feet from the computer. ty

8. cosmicma

cosmicma Private E-2

has the tv not got a vga input most lcd tv's tend to have one
    if not can you not choose a model that does ?

9. LoneW0lf

LoneW0lf Private E-2

10. mladyraven

mladyraven Corporal

11. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

The device I posted above (http://api.viglink.com/api/click?fo...1-6&jsonp=vglnk_jsonp_13281451135851)connects) connects to a USB port on your PC. The VGA port is not used by this device.

The connection path is:

USB port on PC > Adapter Box > HDMI Cable > HDMI port on TV

The only thing you have to buy (in addition to the device) is an HDMI cable.

Hope this helps. :)

12. theefool

theefool Geekified

13. mladyraven

mladyraven Corporal

I was told by Dell if I did that I would not get a good picture because my computer is too old, is that true or are they just trying to sell me a new computer?
    Buying the device is about 100 dollars to go from VGA to HDMI. Right now the VGA is giving me a good enough picture.

I think I will wait and save for a new computer.. thanks!
    :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds