Question regarding keylogger use and installation

Discussion in 'Software' started by nikodr, Sep 2, 2010.

1. nikodr

nikodr Private E-2

In the company i work i want to be sure that my pc is not compromised or that someone might get any personal data i have.
    My first thought was to go to http://www.majorgeeks.com on the covert ops section.Unfortunately most of the links are reported as dangerous by microsoft when i go to check them.

What would you consider to be the best (commercial or not) keylogger that is not malware/virus that avira antivir does not complain and that has stealth mode so nobody but me knows that is working on my pc.

I had problems in the past regarding people having access to my pc at work(sometimes you have to leave office go to other areas,and leave your pc on for an unspecified amount of time),so this time i want to be sure that if something like that happens i can at least know who tried to use my pc.

Kind regards

2. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

All good A/V, link-checkers and anti-Malware programs will flag any keylogger as a PUP (potentially unwanted program).

Instead of being predatory and laying traps for your co-workers, why don't you make use of heightened security like encryption and strong passwords whilst allowing restricted non-administrative (Guest login?) access to the PC?

What, if any, is the company policy on data/PC/network security?

3. nikodr

nikodr Private E-2

Their policy is do not use facebook,msn or other social network stuff.While we are allowed to use yahoo mail or hotmail (to check for mail only).

Also any form of logging to gaming sites (like wow) or similar is prohibited.Torrents and emule are prohibited too as well as programs like limewire or other file sharing.But anything that has to do with work or would help the work done faster of course is allowed.

While i think they do not see or save the confidential data you use,they see which sites you visit.So in a way,if the site you visit is not related to the work i think you could violate their terms.

I always use passwords for my login to windows and i have folder lock installed for my private data,but there are times where i have literally to go to someother office etc.Co-workers are not the problem.

Well a relative visited me the other day while i was at work,i had to go and get some documents,and then when i get back he was checking his facebook.I thought that the it technician guy would call me and tell me again not to visit such sites.I think the reason they do not block access is that they can call you anytime they want and tell you "hey we told you no facebook or msn here why did you do it?".

Also many times when i go home my girlfriend's 2 little brothers may come and play at my laptop pc,they are relative young (12-13 years old),and i would want to check with her if they are visiting any bad sites.Apparentaly they are smart and are using the firefox private browsing so no history remains :) LOL

I think a keylogger could be a trusted tool in the hand of parents that have smaller children too.

4. KingSteve

KingSteve MajorGeek

an easy preventive measure is to lock your computer when you get up. hold the windows key and press L, or hit ctrl+alt+delete and hit Lock Computer. Im so used to locking my computer at work, i do it at home now out of habit.

5. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

Your description sounds like there is no real security policy at work if relatives are allowed to walk in and use PC's; you walk away without locking the PC - makes it sound like you are baiting them.
    "Of course we trust you dahlinks - but we've keylogged the PC that we use as a babysitter because we're too lazy and selfish to interact socially with our own offspring anyway", hmm ...

Sorry, I don't like the picture you appear to be painting.

6. nikodr

nikodr Private E-2

Of course it is illegal for someone to use your pc and access it at work,i was wrong here.

Now i am not trying to paint any picture.I try to spend time with the boys and part of being a good relative friend or parental figure is to offer something to those kids,like teaching them music,teaching them piano,telling stories,playing football.Social and personal interaction is not to be missing.

.However internet is something huge,i believe that up to a certain age parental control is adviced.Maybe not keyloggers but the parental controls that exist that block certain websites.And since i have seen that a large part of web is not to be accessed by kids i would certainly feel good to know in their free time when there is no parental control what they are doing with my pc.However it is best if the children are taught to use the web correctly.I mean what is the use of using parental control on your pc,when they can go to a friends house that offers none control,or to go to a internet cafe and see content that would be blocked at home?

As for the keylogger reason i wanted it in my pc is that there are way too many people walking in my office.There are certain policies but i wanted to be sure that noone uses my computer without my permision.Even if someone tries to use it and enter an inappropriate password would be noted from the keylogger and i would know that someone tried to do so.

Kind regards

7. theobean

theobean Private E-2

Just a note on what happens if your 'not clued' up (me) I installed DRPU PC Data Manager (keylogger) in xp and I must forgot and left it with who know what settings anyway something somhow I forgot about it. Then today I noticed my hard disk space had been gobbled up 0mbytes I did a search and found a folder in All Users -> Shared Documents -> PC DM files full of Backxxx folders and each time I deleted them slowly as the computer was grinding to a halt more appeared. I looked on Major Geeks for post and solution
    forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?p=1502966 i tried the solution
    suggested 'Windows XP Cleaning Procedure' never worked for me then I investigated more and found the file/process creating my problem "C:\Program Files\DRPU PC Data Manager\apcdm.exe" "hd" it generates the backup files folder in All Users -> Shared Documents -> PC DM files folder I managed to cure my own 'Spyware' problem . Just letting other
    know of my pitfalls without putting them off installing keyloggers.

going off on a tangent I trialed a software on my daughters PC that not only logs MSN messaging it allowed me to block content and sites and locked the Usage to so many hours per day and the time domain during the day. Which seemed better and easy to use. I think it even emailed the logs.

8. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

The rule at my place of work, both of them is that anything done on a company machine, you can expect anyone and everyone to have full access to. Most IT departments would also take instaling a key logger on company machines not well at all and could result in issues as well. I do it for a small resturant on the side, and have recently had problems with network cables being knocked out of our pos machines when the wait staff pull the computers out to plug usb phone chargers in. The wait staff has complained many times about not being able to charge phones and such anymore, but thats not my concern, my concern is to keep the computers running. Anyhow, software thats not installed by it has the same effect even though to you it may not appear to. Just some thoughts to keep in mind.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds