Question-Spyware Terminator new release

Discussion in 'Software' started by hopperdave2000, Jun 13, 2007.

1. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

Is the new Spyware Terminator (MG front page June 13, 2007) different from the previous versions? I see this newest one says 'without Web Security Guard' and the previous versions don't say anything like that. Does this mean that the previous versions have the Web Security Guard, and that all upcoming releases don't include the WSG???? Just wondering 'cuz I love Spyware Terminator, and I always install the new releases when they come out, but if they're going to drop features from newer releases, I'll just stick with the one I have installed now, released maybe 3 weeks ago or so...

hd2k

2. HeyBlinkin

HeyBlinkin Private E-2

Web Security Guard was released on March 28, 2007. Versions of Spyware Terminator released after this date came in two versions, one bundled with Web Security Guard and one without. The one listed here on MajorGeeks is the one without.

The reason you see the clarification "without Web Security Guard" is that only a week ago MajorGeeks got wind of this "bundled" version and took it to be a spyware related practice. It was delisted from MG for a period of time, and eventually re-added after a bit of clarification that this isnt a spyware practice. You can find the whole discussion here and how there was some misinformation and such...a lot of stuff, but its all in this thread:

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=127830

In short, all versions of Spyware Terminator released after March 28, 2007 come in two flavors, one with the free (and clean) Web Security Guard (a product meant to compete with McAfee SiteAdvisor) and one without. The one bundled with Web Security Guard offers the product as an optional installation. In essence if you opt out of the install of Web Security Guard the installer is just like the unbundled installer.

Edit: On another note, the upcoming release of 2.0 should be just one installer, no bundling or anything. By bundle I mean installers for bundled products wont be available in the download you get from anywhere on the web. WSG will probably become a product which integrates with ST similar to the way ClamAV is now...all optional of course.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds