question

Discussion in 'Software' started by kirat, Dec 31, 2007.

1. kirat

kirat Private E-2

i have a toshiba laptop. then i downgrade vista to xp. will they void my warranty.

2. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Welcome to MajorGeeks!

If you buy the XP OS from them you should be good to go. If you install one you got elsewhere, they will most likely not give you any software/OS support, but the hardware should still by covered by the warranty.

Give them a call to make sure before you install XP.

E

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Downgrade rights are for only Vista Business and Ultimate versions to XP Pro, others they will not support http://www.askiris.toshiba.com/Tosh...iceId=&dialogID=30069056&stateId=0 0 30065706 but you then run into support issues on drivers as for some components and main one is Audio is that their may actually be no drivers written for XP for it, may find some after trial and error that work. So make sure you can find compatible drivers for all your hardware devices before the move to XP.

Hardware wise, as Fred says call them as its the only concrete way to find out, but have them email you confirmation too if they do say your Hardware Warranty is still intact after a downgrade to XP.

HP/Compaqs take on this

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...e=c01274160&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&dlc=en&lang=en

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...e=c01092639&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&dlc=en&lang=en

The others I did a quick search on have patching or no info on support status after a downgrade, but as its a Microsoft thing in the downgrade rights, it will apply to all companies, in that only routes to goto XP and stick with some sort of support ( not HP/Compaq ) is to go from Vista Business/Ultimate to XP Pro.

ACER will downgrade certain models but wish to do this themselves when you buy direct from them, as no info on warranty or support is on the support site on downgrades I can see.

One thing to note on OEM PCs and especially laptops if you have to use Recovery, as the recovery partition is Vista it will recover to Vista, mentioning this as some companies support will only troubleshoot hardware issues from a Vista standpoint.

4. kirat

kirat Private E-2

i found drivers for windows xp. i just installed xp it depends on your model.

5. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

It voids your software warranty. Pretty sure it would be illegal for them to void the hardware warranty as well, but call to clarify, as mentioned.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds