Questioning the Safety of Various Programs for Sharing Files

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kmblw, Mar 20, 2007.

1. kmblw

kmblw Private E-2

I'm looking for a way to share files from desktop to laptop when away from home or to share certain folders with permission with other people, like pictures, etc.

I found this one, Media Max, http://www.mediamax.com/Brands/MediaMax/home/home.aspx

and then there's Folder Share from Microsoft, https://www.foldershare.com/

or GoToMyPC.

Are things like these safe to use or do they make computers more vulnerable to viruses, trojans, spyware, etc?

Thanks for any advice you can share.

kmblw

2. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Use file encryption if you are worried about security away from base.

Obviously if one pc has access of any description to another pc there is a route for malware or hackers to transfer from one pc to the other that does not exist if they pcs are unconnected. That's the nature of the beast.

Pictures and other files can also be safely 'shared ' by uploading them to webspace, either your own or something like Flickr

Studio T

3. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

I have net2go from Network Magic.. it is nice for sharing - it has public & private areas... or you can go with something like HFS and no-ip or a dns2go like service.
    I am pretty sure something like GoToMyPC is for remote control - I wouldn't be letting everyone connect via that. You don't have to be running anything or in most cases sharing anything to be the target of a hack, just connected to a network.

4. kmblw

kmblw Private E-2

I definitely won't use GoToMyPC, MediaMax or FolderShare then. Thanks for the advice and suggestions for better alternatives. I'll looked at them briefly and will check them out thouroughly and go with one of them eventually.

Thanks again.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds