Questions about CHKDSK

Discussion in 'Software' started by whitelines, May 10, 2006.

1. whitelines

whitelines Private E-2

(Sorry if this is posted in the wrong place... I didn't know where to put it!)

I asked on another forum about this, and they only told me what to do - not what caused this. I want to know if somebody's hacking my account, but I read on their rules you're not allowed to talk about hacking (sorry if your not here either!) But I've just had a few other things happen to my computer.

Here's what happened:

My operating system is Windows XP

I started my computer this morning and it was stuck on the start up screen where it says windows like it kept showing the bars moving for like a long time. So I just turned it off by pressing the power button (wrong I know). Then I turned it back on and it went to a black screen giving me the options to run it in safe mode, start it from the last known date it was working, or start it normally. I tried all of them. And at first they didnt work. Then I did the last known date, and after over 20 minutes it took me to a blue screen and said Cheking C:\ files. And something about NTFS and CHKDSK and started listing record segments and saying they were unreadable. Then after an hour or so it said it was deleting certain files and restoring them.

After it did that, I tried to sign onto AOL to I could come here..but AOL said my firewall was blocking me. So I disabled them and uninstalled AVG (trial version). Still didnt work. I had to create a whole new location...

Now I'm on my DxDiag and it popped up a balloon saying C:\Windows\system32\dmscript.dll corrupt and unreadable run the CHKDSK utility.

Has a virus or something deleted those files? Last time I deleted any files I rebooted and my computer ran just fine...

My computer is still running slow at the start up screen.

Okay, now as for the weird things yesterday I went to myspace.com and it already had an email (not mine) in the log in screen. I am the only one who uses this computer! And it was selected to remember them. I've also been getting emails from paypal, chase bank, and normal ppl like they know me or something. I've dismissed it as spam and reported some to paypal. I don't have a paypal account, btw or a chase bank account.

Anyways, I was told to run CHKDSK /f on the other forums, and that it'd take awhile. So I'm going to wait until tonight.

Ok well my question is really, what is causing this? Is my computer being hacked or is it something else?

Sara

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Initially i thought you may have a corrupted hard drive, as alot of disk errors will cause the OS to want to start CHKDSK to check for errors.

But as you are now into windows, and what your describing does seem on the spyware/malware side, I would if you can run this guide, and then start a new thread in the Malware part of the forum, with a link to this thread and the required attached logs,

The Guide >
    Please follow our standard cleaning procedures which are necessary for us to provide you support. Also there are steps included for installing, running, and posting HijackThis logs as attachments.

- Run ALL the steps in this Sticky thread READ & RUN ME FIRST Before Asking for Support

Make sure you check version numbers and get all updates.

- Very Important: Make sure you tell us the results from running the tutorial...was anything found? Were you unable to complete any of the scans?...Were you unable to download any of the tools?...Did you do the on-line scans as suggested? etc.

After doing ALL of the above you still have a problem make sure you have booted to normal mode and run the steps in the below link to properly use HijackThis and attach a log:

Downloading, Installing, and Running HijackThis

When you return to make your next post, make sure you attach the following logs and that you have run these scans in the following order too (these scans are covered in steps 6 & 7 of the READ & RUN ME sticky)
    • Bitdefender
    • Panda Scan
    • HijackThis

3. whitelines

whitelines Private E-2

i wish you would've posted this sooner... my mom decided to run a 'system recovery' and well its not working... its made it to where my computer doesnt even start. im so irritated now. she tried to install windows 98 instead & it said something about my harddrive being loose. on one part of windows XP when it pops up this blue screen after recovering (but it doesn't work) it says to check my hardrive or for viruses on my computer.. well its kind of hard to do that.

My moms theory is that the hard drive has gone bad or this is a virus. I didn't think viruses could do that tho.. i mean the computer I'm on now has had many & ive seen nothing like that. (but im not very smart, lol) or that my harddrive has literally died. Cause see, my fan hasn't been working and my comp has been over heating. She told HP about it... like awhile bk and they didnt care. I also have one of those bad batteries in my laptop, but they were like 'no u don't' but on their site it says so... ugh. so basically they didnt want to fix my computer... and my mom told me that if your fan dont work that can ruin u hardrive? either way.... do u know what i can do to actually get it to run the recovery or work?

Cause I can't do anything u told me without it working...and im stuck on this OLD computer now.

Sara

4. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

A lot of the errors could well be from overheating ..... you could try this for now ... take the side off the computer (desktop?) and put a small desk fan about 2 feet away from it (plug it in to an outlet other than what the computer is plugged into ...) then do a "repair" Installation of xp ....don't go into the recovery console ..... do you know how to do that?
    Boot up with the xp cd in the drive .... press enter when it prompts for boot from cd....
    It will start installing files, ask if you want to install or repair (as in recovery console) ... install, will give you agreement screen (f8 top agree) then will look for previously installed versions of windows ...when it finds xp it will ask if you want to repair or new install .... press "R" to repair...let it rip.... it will look like a new installation, but will install with all your programs and files still intact.
    Post back.
    Secondly, do you know how to access your bios? Very first screen when it starts up will say at the bottom something like setting or bios press (either/or) f1,,, mayby f2,,,or maybe delete. In the bios setup, you may be able to view system info as to temperature and voltages..... if so, report back on both.
    This thread really should have been in either the software or hardware section ....more activity.

5. whitelines

whitelines Private E-2

i have a laptop..or notebook w.e u wanna call it. and yea my mom was doing that 'r' thingy before.. she read it in the book or w.e... so she knows how to do that. about accessing the bios my moms been wanting to know how, so i'll show her this thread when shes not busy.

sara

6. TimW

There is a big difference between running "recovery console" and doing a "repair installation" .... so it's the laptop that is overheating?
    Best thing to do is replace the fan (they are really cheap) ... but accessing the bios will tell you what temps. are and whether the dc voltage is out of whack (should not be +/- @5% of rating: I.E. 12 volts should not be over 12.6 volts or under 11.4 volts)
    I'll check back with you in the morning (or afternoon) since it's Mothers Day (hope you got her a card!!!).

7. whitelines

whitelines Private E-2

yea its the laptop thats over heating. well its still under warranty with circuit city (the warranty with hp ran out) so my mom i think is going to take it to them.. but when it was still under warranty with hp they didnt want to repair the fan. idk why. or replace the battery. they did everything else for it (ive had a lot of probs with that computer) & my mom since she's passed out on the couch prlly wont check that thing until morning.. ooo and no i didnt get her a card.. im terrible, i know.

sara

8. TimW

Then since you're still up .... make her one.... just has to be something that lets her know you appreciate her being there for you ...OK?
    If you don't want her to see the posts.... copy and paste what I suggested to you into notebook and print it out.
    Go to bed!!!

9. whitelines

whitelines Private E-2

okay well my mom got into the bios, or at least we think thats what it was. but she couldn't find any information. it actually restarted on her twice before she could fully get into the bios... so she has decided (cause I think shes REALLY annoyed with it) to just take it into circuit city and let them deal with it.

Oh and I sent her a Neopets card and some items on there, cause the other day I wouldn't let her on the computer to play it. So I felt bad, lol.

Thanks for your help,

Sara

10. TimW

No problem ..... let us know what circuit city tells ya ..... curious as to their take on it.

11. whitelines

whitelines Private E-2

Okay, well my mom decided to wait to take it into circuit city.. and to try one more time to do the system restore.. and it worked.. and now she has a deep hatred for Windows XP...

She just did the Quick Setup for Windows XP, and she wants to know if she should do the other one?

Because we're not coming up with a port to the modem, drivers, or anything. It's just like all there is, is Windows XP and none of my drivers (& etc).

Since HP has their own driver recovery disc does she has to use that? Because she tried it, and when she does it crashes.

Ooo and me and my mom are sorry for being a pain.

Sara

12. TimW

Sara ...tell your Mom to take it to circuit city ....if all you loaded was xp express without drivers, etc....and it soon after crashed, it's in all probability a hardware issue, not software. Most likely the overheating or bac ram (poss. your power supply). Best dealt with at the store that holds the warrenty. Sorry if we couldn't be of more assistance.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds