Questions about Outlook & Outlook Express

Discussion in 'Software' started by dlb, Jun 26, 2008.

1. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

I'm backing up some data for a dude, and I've already backed up the Outlook Express stuff (.dbx files). But what is the default location for Outlook (.pst) files? I went to the MS Knowledge Base, and found this:
    WRONG!!! There is no Application Data folder in the C:\Windows directory. I looked on 3 different PCs just to be sure the one wasn't missing the folder. Yeah, I know I could just do a search for .pst files, but in this particular case, I can't. I'm in a PE scenario and the search functions seem to be limited. Regardless, all I need is the location of Outlook .pst files. (In other words, I don't want a lesson on how to search for files in PE ;) )

Another question: does either OE or Outlook have their own address book? If so, where is this stored on the PC? I don't use either Outlook or OE, so I'm not sure about the address book. The owner of this PC isn't sure if he used Outlook, Outlook Express, but he knows he used one of 'em. He's not making it easy on me.

THANKS!

2. paramonks

paramonks Corporal

Hello dlb

I use outlook some of the time. I have more than 1 username set up on my computer - my files are located C:\Document and Setting\{username}\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\.....

To make a backup of outlook I simply copy from that directory the *.pst file and that it all I need to restore my email, if I stuff something.

Sorry I'm such a newbie at this the only other *.dbx files I could locate were under the C:\Document and Setting\{username}\Local Settings\Application Data\identities file and those were folders, inbox and offline.

HTH - paramonks

3. Cat_w_9_lives

Cat_w_9_lives Major KittyCat

Same here, re location.

Outlook is here: C:\Documents and Settings\"User"\Application Data\Microsoft

Outlook Express is here:
    C:\Documents and Settings\"user"\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{DFF16927-88E6-4EAA-A097-460B7E65289B}\Microsoft\Outlook Express

Windows Live (replaced OE) is also in there.

4. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

Actually, it's C:\Documents and Settings\"User"\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook. However, I believe it's different in dlb's PE scenario.

Well, the {DFF16927-88E6-4EAA-A097-460B7E65289B} will be different, since it's a unique code on each system. Here's a reference which explains the location: How OE stores files on your hard disk

5. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Thanks all! The problem has been solved, and the data recovered/saved to an external hard drive. It was surprising that the Microsoft web site had such inaccurate information about something as commonly used as OE/Outlook.... I always get the Application Data and Local Settings directories reversed and end up totally buried in Docs-n-Set'ns...

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds