questions about recommended antispyware apps

Discussion in 'Software' started by BobLewiston, Mar 8, 2010.

1. BobLewiston

BobLewiston Private E-2

I have some questions about antispyware apps recommended in MajorGeek's "How to Protect yourself from malware!"

1. I know you're not supposed to run 2 antivirus apps at once, but that you CAN run 2 scanner-only antispyware apps at once. But should you not run 2 real-time-protection antispyware apps at once?

2. Comodo AntiVirus + Firewall is one of the free antispyware apps recommended at MajorGeeks.com, but its name implies it's just an antivirus and a firewall. Does it include antispyware or not?

3. Are the ratings for SUPERAntiSpyware and Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware for the free versions that act only as scanners, or for the paid versions that offer real-time protection? Are the paid versions of these 2 apps better than all of the free antispyware apps?

4. Do all the antispyware "real-time blocking tools" constantly run in the background to prevent the installation of malware, whenever an attempt is made to open a file or launch an application? Do they all also offer manual and/or scheduled system scans?

5. Avira AntiVir Personal Edition, Microsoft Security Essentials for Windows XP and AVG AntiVirus Free Edition are all said to include antivirus functionality, but does Spyware Terminator also include antivirus functionality?

6. Other than the fact that spyware "spies", just what is the difference between a virus and a spyware app? In other words, why can you run one antivirus app at the same time as a real-time-protection antispyware app?

2. Kestrel13!

Kestrel13! Super Malware Fighter - Major Dilemma Staff Member

I have had to move one of your posts again. Posting in the malware forum with such questions will only get you redirected to software. We only have time to remove malware in that forum. :)

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

1. Depends on the programs. Something like SpywareBlaster is never used to scan. It prevents spyware from getting into the computer in the first place. All you have to do is make sure you check for updates about every 2 weeks.
    2. I don't think it is antispyware.
    3. The free and paid versions are both excellent. The only difference is free versions do not auto update and do not offer real time protection.
    I run the free version of MBAM on my computer but the paid version on my husband's because I want him protected in real time.
    4. spyware is not malware
    Paid versions of programs offer real time protection and yes you can opt for manual scans or scheduled scans.
    5. I know nothing avbout Spyware Terminator; since it says spyware, I assume it in not an anti-virus.
    6. old article but attempts to explain the difference between viruses and spyware
    http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-3513_7-6260190-1.html

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds