Questions about reinstalling Windows XP Home

Discussion in 'Software' started by matts22, Apr 15, 2006.

1. matts22

matts22 Private E-2

Hi, I'm new to the forums, and I've got a few questions. Sorry, I don't feel like reading all the previous posts to find an answer because that will take me weeks. I need some quick answers, and I would really appreciate any help.

My computer crashed, and I need to reinstall Windows XP. I've had problems the last few months (this is the 3rd time I've done this...well I had someone do it the first time, and I did it the second time). Anyway, I think that I need to completely wipe clean the computer and start fresh. I've looked at this program called Wipe Drive: http://www.whitecanyon.com/wipedrive-erase-hard-drive.php?source=google+wipedrive+freshstart

I thought that I could do this and then reinstall Windows. However, I'm good with computers, but I'm really not that knowledgable about them. Will I be able to do this (as far as reformatting drives and everything)? Is this a good program to do this?

After I do this, do I simply reinstall from the Windows XP disc? I have read about installing something from a Windows 98 disc (to get Dos working?)...is this something I need to do?

Sorry guys, I'm clueless, but I really need help to get this done. If anyone could point me in the right direction, I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

2. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus MajorGeek

You have the full install of XP? Your bios is set to boot the cd rom first?
    If so............

Make sure you have the necessary drivers for your hardware. Once you do that all you do insert the xp cd & bootup.

Follow the screen & delete the partition/hard drive. You will lose all information so backup any docs or files you want to keep.

Once deleted then select to install XP & away you go. 98 is not needed.

3. matts22

matts22 Private E-2

What do you mean the full install of XP? The CD I have came with the computer and says "Operating System CD Microsoft Windows XP Home SP1"

How do I check if BIOS is set to boot from CDrom first? Do I do this before or after using WipeDrive?

I've got all my documents backed up, but I can't log into windows at all so I can't back up anything that requires this. I've got the driver recovery CD, is that all I need?

Do I delete all partitions? Do I have to reinstall DOS if I use WipeDrive? Or just windows? Do things like BIOS stay on the computer after using WipeDrive?

Thanks again, sorry I'm so clueless

4. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus MajorGeek

You don't need WipeDrive.

When you boot up you see something like hit DEL. When you do hit the delete key. That will get you into the bios.

But for now it would be easier to insert the cd you have, boot the computer. If it picks the cd up you are all set.

When it says 'press any key to boot from cd' do it.

Follow the screens. You will see your hard drive at the end.

It probably won't have any partitions. Just remember that you don't want to do a 'repair' but a full install.

See if you make any sense of this.

5. matts22

matts22 Private E-2

Thanks!

I understand what you are saying now, but I don't understand how it is better to not use a program like wipedrive.

When I reinstalled windows last time, I didn't reformat the drive. Windows worked fine, but it loaded really weird. A certain screen would come up and I would have to hit F1 to get out of that so that Windows could load. And even then things didn't seem right.

Will simply reformatting the drive and reinstalling windows fix these things, or do I need to "wipe" the drive completely clean and start from scratch?

I would think that the performance of the computer would be better if I started from scratch...is this true?

6. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus MajorGeek

Formatting will wipe the drive clean although with expensive software some of the old files can be recovered.

WipeDrive is for people who have been looking at things they shouldn't. It will continually overwrite the old files till they are completely unreadable.

If you have nothing on the hard drive to be concerned about just go with a plain old format.

Formatting is starting from scratch.

7. matts22

matts22 Private E-2

Ok, cool.

Are there any system files or anything that I need to get off the computer before I reformat/reinstall?

I read that you can copy a file from the system32 folder and not have to re-register the product. Should I do this or not?

8. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus MajorGeek

Doesn't work. You will have to reactivate windows. Painless procedure....if it is legit.

Make sure you have all the drivers for hardware ready to install once XP has been loaded.

Don't forget your docs, email, favourites, etc, for backing up to cd.

Remember.....format = lose everything.

9. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

Windows XP is not a DOS based operating system. You do not need DOS to use Windows XP.

The BIOS is stored on the motherboard itself. Erasing the hard drive will not affect it.

Everything else is already covered as far as I can tell.

10. doctorwho2

doctorwho2 Private E-2

Hi Mate
    Windows xp has a repair option built into its Cd try this
    1.Start up your Pc enter the Bios set up(might be hold down Del key!)
    2.find the option in your Bios setup that boots your PC from CD FIRST then HARD DRIVE then FLOPPY
    3.before you exit the Bios setup you will be asked do you want to save these changes , open you CD drive and insert your Windows XP cd close draw and click yes.
    4.your PC is now starting up from the cd follow the on screen prompts you will find an option to REPAIR WINDOWS ,,,,if you chose this option you may not loose any of your emails etc,,,
    5. Don`t forget to change your Bios SETUP BACK TO START FROM HARDDRIVE THEN CD DRIVE THEN FLOPPY
    AND SAVE THE CHANGES BEFORE YOU EXIT
    CHEERS The Doc

11. matts22

matts22 Private E-2

Thanks guys, I'll be doing this today, I'll let you know how everything works out.

I've already tried repairing windows and it didn't do anything. It needs the full reinstall.

12. matts22

matts22 Private E-2

Ok, real quick question. The hard drive is 60 GB on my notebook. Should I create a partition on which to install windows xp? If so, how big should it be? The link from earlier in this thread (followed by clicking the link at the bottom of that page) led me to installing windows xp instructions. They had a 40 GB hard drive and had 4 GB partitioned on which to install windows. Should I do this? Is 4 GB big enough?

13. matts22

matts22 Private E-2

Anyone? Everyone was so quick to answer the other questions, I just need to know this before I begin...do I need a separate partition for windows? If so, how big? Or do I just make a single partition of the whole hard drive and put everything on it?

14. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

You don't need a seperate partition for Windows. It will work fine with the whole drive as a partition. If you install Windows to one partition and your data in another, you can reinstall Windows and the data on the other partition(s) should remain safe. It's a matter of convenience, not necessity. If you do that, make your OS partition at least the same size as your Windows and Program Files folders combined. You don't want to run out of room for the all programs you like to use.

15. matts22

matts22 Private E-2

Ok, got Windows reinstalled...then downloaded SP2 for windows xp, updated windows, downloaded antivirus, ad-aware, etc.

Worked great for a little while.

I came back to my computer and it had basically froze up. It acted like it was working really hard to do nothing.

So I restarted it, and it wouldn't boot up...just stayed on the same screen forever.

Tried to boot up in safe mode, didn't do anything.

Tried to revert to last known good configuration, didn't work.

Tried to run scandisk, and it kept saying file unreadable for like every file.

Tried to repair windows, did nothing.

So...I think it must be a hardware issue. I think I need a new computer. Any thoughts? I'm so mad right now I can't see straight. I'd really appreciate any help and/or opinions.

Thanks!

16. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus MajorGeek

Try once more but this time don't get any windows updates except for SP2 & see how that runs.

If it is OK then one of the updates is causing the problem.

Once it is up & running slipsteam SP2 into your XP cd for next time.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds