Questions on using System Restore

Discussion in 'Software' started by BLAJY, Oct 24, 2004.

1. BLAJY

BLAJY Corporal

1.) When you undo System Restore, are all previously restore points,deleted?

2.) Are the restore points that you, yourself created,deleted?

3.) If a virus or trojan is found, and you don't want to bother with finding it's location, and you decide to use a previous System Restore Point, does this rid the virus from your system?

4.) Why won't my computer allow me to go back to a previous month( in this case Sept) to search for a restore point? Providing it was after the SP2 download?

5.) Would System Restore work, in the case of problems with Disk Cleanup, that I mention in two posts below?

Thank You :)

Last edited: Oct 24, 2004
  2. BLAJY

BLAJY Corporal

Sorry, one more question. If all restore points are deleted, when System Restore is turned off, when finished with your trouble shooting, can you now go back and create restore points for any dates you want, or are you stuck, with creating only restore points from this point on?

Thank You :)

3. Wavetar

Wavetar Sergeant

You can go here for more information, but essentially yes, disabling system restore will delete any & all previous restore points. Upon re-enabling, you will only be able to make a restore point from that moment on.

System restore could get rid of the virus, assuming it wasn't also backed-up. Hard to tell unless you try it.

The number of restore points which can be created depend on how much disk space you allow for system restore. If you left it at the default of 200MB, that's probably why you can't go back very far.

4. BLAJY

BLAJY Corporal

Thank You. Sorry I didn't think of this for my Disk Cleanup problem before I turned it off and did all the scans.

5. BLAJY

BLAJY Corporal

;) :) ;) :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds