Quick Anti Virus Protection Questions

Discussion in 'Malware Help - Public (Anyone Can Post & Respond)' started by lord lucan, Apr 11, 2017.

1. lord lucan

lord lucan Private First Class

Just put windows 10 on my lappy and wanting to know if after ive installed Comodo Internet security and Comodo anti virus do I have to remove or disable windows defender? Would having these two products also make having Malaware Bytes pointless?

Also is it better to use Comodo firewall or is the windows own firewall adequate?

Cheers in advance.

2. sexyandy81

sexyandy81 MajorGeek

if you install any 3rd party anti virus software it will automatically disable windows defender but you can set windows defender to scan periodically which will run with any 3rd party antivirus software.

3. lord lucan

Cheers Andy. Any ideas about the firewall and Malwarebytes questions?

4. sexyandy81

sexyandy81 MajorGeek

Firewall will do the same it will disable windows one. i recommend using zonealarm free and malwarebytes version 3 that will also disable windows defender as its a anti virus built in but i dont use malwarebytes as it flags ASC as a PUP and deletes it.

5. lord lucan

cheers for that, much appreciated.

6. lord lucan

Another quick one, if you have zonealarm free is there any need for Comodo Internet security?

7. sexyandy81

sexyandy81 MajorGeek

No I would choose CIS it comes with a good firewall and av. I only use ZoneAlarm cos I have Secureaplus for my antivirus.

8. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

Comodo Firewall is a much, much better Firewall than Zone Alarm - free or pro - by a long way in technical reviews.
    Reading reviews of SecurAplus AV makes me not inclined to use it. It is not a full AV or Malware solution. I think you would be much better off with the full free Comodo Internet Security Suite alone.

9. sexyandy81

sexyandy81 MajorGeek

I tried to use CIS but it crashes my windows 10 the font disappears completely

10. lord lucan

Ive gone for Zonealarm firewall with Comodo Anti-virus. See how I go from there. Cant really see how id know how one firewall performs over another anyway to be honest.

11. sexyandy81

sexyandy81 MajorGeek

Don't matter now, I have managed to get CIS to work properly on windows 10 now. it must have been a bad download.

12. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

It's as easy as a simple internet search.
    This is the most reputable organisation that tests firewalls:
    http://www.matousec.com/projects/proactive-security-challenge/results.php
    Zone Alarm PREMIUM comes number 11 in the list and is 'not recommended'
    Zone Alarm FREE comes in at number 20 and is 'not recommended'.
    [QUOTE="lord lucan, post: 1990765, member: 39500" Cant really see how id know how one firewall performs over another anyway to be honest.[/QUOTE]

Eldon likes this.
  13. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

14. sexyandy81

sexyandy81 MajorGeek

My system seems to be running more smoother with CIS 10 free, Malwarebytes AM 2.2 premium, Malwarebytes AE Premium, Hitman Pro (Second opinion scans), Zemana AM Premium (Second opinon scans) but with zero day attacks activated.

Imandy Mann likes this.
  15. sexyandy81

sexyandy81 MajorGeek

I had to ditch Malwarebytes as it was crashing windows 10 build 16176 giving it a green screen of death so I have decided to replace it with Super Antispyware until Microsoft have released a fix for it.

16. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

MBAM works perfectly (apart from the slowness when using v3) on all Win10 builds I have up to and including 'Creators' version 1703.

17. sexyandy81

sexyandy81 MajorGeek

Yeah I managed to get Malwarebytes v3 back on to my system I had left over files from Malwarebytes v2 which I had to manually delete. All working now and added ASC in the exclusion list so now it wont get picked up in PUP's.

18. lord lucan

So am i right in saying if i install number one on the list, The Comodo internet Security suite, i dont need a separate anti virus as it includes it with a firewall?

19. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

CIS in its full suite has everything. I only use MBAM in its free version as a backup scanner.

20. Eldon

MaxTurner,
    A little off topic...
    You are an experienced CIS user. Have you considered contacting AV-Comparatives (I regularly get an email about their latest test results) to enquiry why they do not test Comodo?

21. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

That's an idea. I haven't look at AV comparatives reports lately.

Eldon likes this.
  22. Eldon

23. lord lucan

and why matousec says AVG is useless and chart av says AVG is 99.1% successful.

24. Eldon

The matousec report is outdated - AVG Internet Security 2011 10.0.1153.
    Have a look at the other dates of the products tested.

25. lord lucan

to be honest for free id be pretty happy with 99.1% success rate.

26. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

You have already said that you are using Comodo AV in post #10 so why are you now asking about AVG??

27. Eldon

Why? When you can get 100% for free...

28. lord lucan

I cant see where im asking about AVG, im pointing out a complete disagreeance in two separate and independent reports. They cant both be right.

29. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

Your post #23! lol
    Stick to what you say you are using and concentrate on that.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
  30. Eldon

The matousec report is outdated! :eek:

MaxTurner likes this.
  31. sexyandy81

sexyandy81 MajorGeek

Sorry just to confirm from my post #14 I have now settled on the security for my system I have installed CIS 10 free, Malwarebytes v3 premium, Hitman Pro premium, Zemana AM Premium, Spywareblaster.

32. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

I personally wouldn't run the Premium real time protection Malwarebytes version alongside the full real-time Comodo Internet Security Premium free suite. Given the new and enhanced features in CIS 10 that seems massive overkill to me even on a system with a really fast CPU and over 8gb of ram. As for the other two as long as they do not include real-time protection they are fine as is SpywareBlaster.

33. sexyandy81

sexyandy81 MajorGeek

Zemana has real time protection on and with zero day ransomware attacks on aswell. Hitman Pro does not have real time protection enabled I use that as a second opinion scans only.

34. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

If all that doesn't slow your system or result in any conflicts (with at least 3 programs trying to 'detect'/'scan' activity at the same time) then great. But sledgehammer and nut comes to mind given that security software is never more than 75% of protecting a system.

35. sexyandy81

sexyandy81 MajorGeek

No conflicts so far and no green screen of deaths either. Memory usage is currently at 24% with 2 programs opened and google chrome with 3 tabs open and 20 start-up programs too.

36. sexyandy81

sexyandy81 MajorGeek

Just a quick question here - What would people here recommend in keeping Malwarebytes v3 or switch to Iobit Malware Fighter v5.

37. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

This is just my opinion: I've avoided Iobit ever since 2009. At that time, it was discovered that Iobit was use MBAM's code to detect things. If you google you can find stories about the controversy.
    I have 5 paid lifetime licenses for Malwarebytes so I'll continue to make use of those licenses.

Try both and see which you prefer.

I've also stuck with MBAM v2, which will be updated until June 8, 2017. I don't feel v3 is quite ready - too many bugs yet. Hopefully by June it will be a smoother transition from v 2 to v 3.

MaxTurner likes this.
  38. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

I too prefer MBAM over anything produced by IoBit, and I also found its v3 is buggy and since I don't want the real-time features I'm sticking with MBAM v 2.2.2.1.1043 until June.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds