Quick Cooling Fan Question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by craj, Jun 30, 2010.

1. craj

craj Private E-2

Okay, so my case has room for 3 fans, so i've ordered 3 akasa ambers. Inside my case I have a giant Akasa Venom cooling my CPU, as well as some very poor fans on my PSU (which ill be replacing shortly).

This is how my system looks at the minute, 1 vent at the back, 2 vents on the side, and the CPU fan sucking air in from the back:

[​IMG]

You might need to use your imagination... but the green is where i can put the new fans, and the blue is the current fan, which is inside the case....

My question is, what airflow do you think would be the best? Both fans sucking in from the side and blowing out the back? I'd turn the CPU fan around, to point to the side if i did this.

Or should i suck in from the back, and the top side fan, and just blow out through the bottom side fan?

Or maybe even have all three sucking in... There is a small vent at the bottom of the back, underneath the fan vent, so it would work.

If you have any other suggestions go for it. :)

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

You'll want the CPU and the fan at the back to be expelling the air out of the back, basically reverse what you have, main reason is your aiming hot warm air at the front of the case into an area that is likely where the HDD/CDROMs are and that will just cause a large dead patch of air, thus warming up your PC.

I would reverse the fans so that as a rule of thumb its cool air in at the front and the hot out at the back and top. Do not have all the fans sucking in air as that would just heat up your PC, you need airflow, as in a steady flow of air puling air into your PC and out.

You could have the side fan sucking air in but the CPU and back fans need to be in a direction to expell the air out of the back of the case, have both back fans expelling air out the back, do you have a front fan mount point as if you do have that sucking air in.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds