Quick Quasi-computer Hardware Question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Skullduggery's Dupe, Mar 8, 2016.

1. Skullduggery's Dupe

Skullduggery's Dupe Master Sergeant

One of the several types of plug that plug into a cell phone from its recharger is called a "micro". It's about 1/4 inch wide and maybe 1/10 of an inch thick and its cross-sectional area is SORT OF trapezoidal (it's like a rectangle with two of the right-angle corners replaced with 45° segments).

Online I've seen male plugs like that on cables that are more often than not called "micro-USB cables", but since the other end of the cable is usually a regular USB male plug, I don't know if the end that I'm interested in is called a "micro-USB" plug, or if what they mean is the cable is a micro-whatever-TO-a-USB cable, if you know what I mean.

So which is it, and if it's the latter, what is the "whatever" in "micro-whatever"? OK, so this is for a cell phone, not a computer, but I'm guessing SOMEONE here probably knows. Any help?

2. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

3. Skullduggery's Dupe

On the plus side, this is more than I asked for, and I thank you very much.

On the minus side (and I guess it's obvious in hindsight that this was what was gonna happen), now that I see the complexity of this, I'm more confused than ever.

Maybe I should just ask what I really want to know.

I bought a cigarette lighter socket splitter for my car. You plug it into the car's cigarette lighter socket, and you get THREE cigarette lighter sockets PLUS a USB port.

My cell phone recharger that I use in the house has a male micro-USB plug that plugs into the phone.

I want a cable to recharge the phone in the car from the socket splitter's USB port.

But as the guide you just directed me to illustrates, I'm in way over my head here in trying to figure out EXACTLY what kind of cable I need.

But I do really appreciate your help.

And if anybody can tell me what to buy, I'll appreciate THAT very much as well.

Oh yeah - and if this cable can also be used to sync my phone to my computer so I can save my phone numbers to my computer (assuming I can figure out how to do that), that would be nice. But it's definitely not essential.

4. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

Note that these usually are sold for the type of phone you use (or, at least that is how they are often marketed). It sounds like this is what you need.

5. Skullduggery's Dupe

Yes, I believe that WILL work. $5.99 on Amazon, $3.43 on eBay, free shipping at both!

6. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

Even Walmart will have them, if you need it right away. And you can always take your phone with you and eyeball them to make sure it will fit.

7. Skullduggery's Dupe

Walmart is 10 miles away. Luckily I don't need it that fast.

8. Skullduggery's Dupe

You know, I DID buy the item that Digerati suggested, but I've decided I'd also like to have the USB to micro-USB cable as well. So by any crazy chance, does anybody know whether the male micro-USB connector that plugs into the LG model LG290C cell phone is a type A or type B?

9. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

Micro-USB type B, which is the current standard.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds