quick question about routers

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gsr415, Jan 2, 2005.

1. gsr415

gsr415 Private E-2

i know this is kinda a silly question but i got sbc dsl and i just got a new comp and i was thinking about getting a router but i dont know which ones, and do i gotta pay if i use more then one comp? is wireless better or like wires better?

2. TheDoug

TheDoug MajorGeek

A router is a good thing to have on a broadband connection. It makes for a nice inexpensive hardware firewall, and allows you to attach multiple computers to share your internet connnection without having to fool with Windows ICS. Wireless versions have wired ports on the back as well. Even if you don't have any wireless computers now, buying a wireless router will have you ready if you eventually do. Popular brands are Netgear and Linksys. You will not be charged any extra by your ISP if you use one, unless you require individual static IP addresses for each computer (If you don't know what this means, you probably won't).

3. RickM

RickM Private First Class

If you only have one IP provided by your ISP you can use the NAT feature to translate one IP address (Provided by ISP) to your own Private IP and you can have as many PC's as you feel you need....

4. gsr415

gsr415 Private E-2

5. elementkid07

elementkid07 Private First Class

that link has a bunch of em on there...click on the one u want then resend the link

6. gsr415

gsr415 Private E-2

7. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

Nice router, should do you well. You may want to look into some ethernet cables too as sometimes you only get one cable with your router, I know I did when I got my wireless Linksys last week :D

8. mrfusion70

mrfusion70 Private E-2

most of the dsl modems given out by sbc and sprint are a router and all you would need is a hub. But if your going to go out and buy a hub you might as well just get the router for the extra protection. :cool:

9. gsr415

gsr415 Private E-2

kool thanks i wasnt sure about this stuff but thanks guys for helping me , and i do got sbc dsl and they only gave me a modem ( speedstream 5360) so if i get a hub do i just connect it to the dsl modem? just wanted to get my facts straight

10. Shiju

Shiju Private E-2

I have the same modem and 3 Lynksis routers, 1 wireless (everything in the house is networked). With sbc you probly have a PPOE account and would need to make sure that any router you purchase supports the authenticating.

For your case I would pick up 1 Linksys router and be done with it.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds