quiet---sound proof headset

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by watchntv, Aug 31, 2011.

1. watchntv

watchntv Private E-2

When I am at the school library I am inundated with sounds. From sitting at the computer and the dude 2 rows back is listening to his IPOD at volume 200 to being a desk studying and hearing someone clatter on their keyboard or talk to their friend.
    I am looking for headphones that will soundproof me against the world.
    Not those headphones that I have to plug in and "cancel" sound via sound, I've never found those to be effective at much.
    thanks

2. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

3. watchntv

watchntv Private E-2

thanks, so these will drown out random noise and I dont need to have them plugged into my tape player? or ipod or whatever:wave

4. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

Yes, as much as regular earplugs would. Obviously, they won't completely block ALL sound, and of course they're more effective if you are listening to music or something with them, since sound helps drown sound too.

5. watchntv

watchntv Private E-2

it would really be useful if I went to a school where we had libraries that were quiet or if public libraries were themselves quiet and not big computer labs with books/drinks/food now
    or if I could get a pair of those ear guards they use in the navy
    [​IMG]

6. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

I was under the impression you wanted to be able to listen to music, etc. while maintaining outside noise cancellation. If you're simply looking for hearing protection, WITHOUT needing to listen to music or whatever, I have a good suggestion.

I'm in the military, and need hearing protection for my job often, due to loud motors, etc.

These are very similar to a pair of earplugs that I purchased. They look nearly identical (and with marketing schemes with manufacturers making different "branded" items to sell to different markets, etc., they very well could be the identical pair I have). The pair I have beat the foam earplugs and the regular triple tiered flange type hands down in hearing protection AND comfort. My main problem with most hearing protection is the discomfort. Headphone-type don't do well for me, as I wear glasses (it pushes against the side bows of the glasses into my head, causing ear discomfort).

The pair I purchased was $10 or $15, but I swear I can wear them for hours on end without needing a break. I can't imagine I have ultra-sensitive ears that start to hurt before anyone else has ear discomfort. I'd gladly buy them again. They also have the small plug you can open or close, depending on the situation (with it open, you can hear normal talking, etc. but it still protects your ears from gunshot noise, etc... with it closed, it muffles even regular volume noise very well).

Again, if you're looking for straight up ear plugs, THESE are the ones you want! No discomfort, no need to replace them (unless you lose 'em), and excellent performance.

If you want ear/headphones that provide hearing protection, the first ones I linked to in my previous post are some of the best IMO.

I have both, and use both. Hearing protection, especially in this day and age with everything making noise (work environments mostly), is very important!

EDIT: The link I put in this post is for the MEDIUM sized ones. They also make SMALL and LARGE versions. Most people fit the MEDIUM, but if you have extra small or large ear holes, make sure you purchase the proper size.

7. watchntv

watchntv Private E-2

thanks, this is exactly the type of ear plug I'm looking for. Thanks

is there any way to know what size my ears need before I buy a pair? Or I'll buy a medium and if I need to, buy a larger or smaller size

Im glad you posted as I have sensitive ears also.
    Its a pain, but I have increased sensitivity to sound since my brain injury.(coma)
    My mom hates when I visit home because I will take the batteries out of the clocks that have hands because they tic and it bugs the hell out of me when I'm trying to sleep.
    I sleep in my bedroom with the door closed and the clocks are in the kitchen, downstairs, or on the stairway next to my room.

sound is an issue for me because it's everywhere and no one shuts up, except at about 1am-4am, it's dead quiet where I live(I live alone, with a cat) and I can hear him claw/cry at the garage door when I'm in my bedroom upstairs.

8. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

I'm unaware of how to figure out your size without actually trying them. I bought them in a store, and even though I know you aren't supposed to open packages before you buy it, I do that sometimes with stuff that I need to see/try... so I opened the package in the store to be sure the medium would fit. Most people have medium-sized ear holes (the size is your actual ear canal entrance, not necessarily the "outer ear" size).

I didn't mean to mislead you... I'm not sensitive to sound so much as to ear pain/discomfort from most ear plugs after an hour or so. I am sensitive to very high pitched sounds, though, such as the high pitched whine the old style TVs/CRT monitors make when they are on. Most people can't hear it.

Anyway, I really hope you find those ear plugs as awesome as I did. I just noticed the Amazon price... a few dollars more than I paid, I believe. I'd pay $30 for them, though (shh, don't tell 'em... they'll up the price :p ).

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds