Quiet that hard drive the cheap way!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by moyupae, May 29, 2005.

1. moyupae

moyupae Private E-2

Okay, so recently I discovered, after having thought my fans were making all the noise in my case, that the loudest component is currently my hard drive. The plan is to replace it with a Samsung spin-point and decouple it to reduce the effects of vibration, but for now, I found a free alternative that significantly reduces the sound. You ready?

I defragged.

Yup. You would not believe the world of difference it makes. I should mention that Windows defrag's analysis reported that "this volume does not need to be defragmented". I had my doubts, so I found an alternative. I used PerfectDisc7 which has the ability account for how often a file is accessed or modified in its equation when determining where to place it. PD7 then puts the most often used files at the beginning of the hdd to reduce access time and at the same time, manages to reduce the noise output of your hdd due to shorter and fewer seek times. I'm sure any decent defragging program will help, but I especially like this particular program. Good interface, great functionality. I'm using a free trial, though I'll find it hard to justify $44.99 when the trial expires... eesh. Don't underestimate the importance of using a quality defragging program though. Especially you performace and quiet PCers.

2. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

I'm always looking for better equivalents to programs I use.

Checked out PerfectDisk 7 on google.

http://www.google.com/search?as_q=perfectdisk+7&num=20&hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&btnG=Google+Search&as_epq=&as_oq=defrag&as_eq=&lr=lang_en&as_ft=i&as_filetype=&as_qdr=all&as_occt=any&as_dt=i&as_sitesearch=&safe=images

Any one thinking of using PD7, check out this link first. Some problems with a version of PD7. Bazza

===

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds