R.I.P. my 9800GT!

Discussion in 'Software' started by augiedoggie, Nov 13, 2010.

1. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

My trusty friend of 2 years finally bit the bullet for the cause. :cry I'm not sure what caused it though I know it was not my new PSU, Corsair CX600. So, I'm going to move on to an eVGA GTX460 instead of getting another 9800GT for $50 extra as the 460's rival the 470's in price/performance.

The same PSU will be good as the 460 draws only an extra 2 amps compared to the 9800GT as in their recommendations. I had my Antec Earthwatts 500W powering the pair of 9800GT's so i don't foresee any issues in that regard.

Now I just have to endure PayPal's time lag of 8 working days to process an e-cheque.:cry At least they'll ship it from their Toronto depot now instead of from B.C. saving a week's worth of transport time!:cool I'll be back to better than I was before.;):-D

2. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

You are still going along nicely at 30.000 ppd so i doubt if i will be catching you any time soon :-D

3. augiedoggie

Actually Bill, it's 38K PPD without the GPU.:p:-D Folks are getting around 14K+ with an OC'd card but I'm not OC'ing anymore, at least not the GPU's as those things are way more complicated than I thought besides the heat factor. I'll be satisfied with 12K which is about triple of what I get with a 9800GT.:major

4. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

Commiserations on the loss, augie. That's been a good card for you.
    Onward and upwards though. I'm still trying to get my system straightened out and hopefully this weekend will see it done.
    WTF on the 38K PPD.:major

5. augiedoggie

Great man, hope your new mobo works out! BTW, that 38K is folding with the dreaded SMP2 6701's which are the worst WU's around, I'd have at least another 5K-7K PPD with -bigadv but I haven't had one in 9 days!:(

6. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

RIP a good a faithful GFX card :(

I'm looking now at the GTX580 series to update my old but still pumping out WUs 8800gts

7. augiedoggie

I was just looking at them yesterday.:innocent 512 procs and at a faster clock than the 480's with less power use and therefore heat. From what I've read , losing 3 million transistors in sacrificing GPGPU, which not too many even know what that is and me included, doesn't seem to affect the folding and they come in at about the same pricepoint as the 480's did last year, if not cheaper by some $50 IIRC. Here's a good review of it. Of course I only focused on the folding part of it.;)

HardwareCanucks

8. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

Sorry for your loss

You going to have a funeral for it? :-D

9. augiedoggie

Maybe, but it ain't gonna be buried here with an organic garden and all,;)

10. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

May the 9800 rest in peace... :(

11. augiedoggie

Thank you Mims. BTW, welcome to the folding forums where geeks blow up their machines, well second only to the OC'rs and benchmarkers.;):-D

12. BoredOutOfMyMind

BoredOutOfMyMind Picabo, ICU

C'mon, don't encourage him! :p

13. Mimsy

I really do need to get back into folding... when my big PC had a meltdown (you might remember photos of a melted CPU :innocent ) I kind of lost momentum and never really got back into it.

I'll see what I can do about that one of these days.

14. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Yeah, you wouldn't want it next to the buried dead cat. roflmao

15. augiedoggie

Am I ever going to live this one down?!:p:-D

16. Mimsy

Do you really need us to answer that question?

17. augiedoggie

Rhetorical of course. sigh :-D

18. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Not if I can help it!! roflmao. Or at least until you give us something else to rib you about!!! hehehe.:-D

19. augiedoggie

I've been fooling around with the 460 for a couple of days now and man is this thing sweet! For starters, it runs way cooler than the 470. At idle, the 460 is at a cool 30C @ %30 fan, %100 load 60C @ %40, %100 load and a %20 shader OC(stock volts) 62C @ %42 fan wheras the 470 with a paltry <%4 shader OC is @90C @ %82 fan. Mind you, to be really fair, I'd have to get this build back in a case as it's benched right now.

I still have plenty of temperature overhead and still have volting available but I won't go that far.;) For anyone with a smaller case the 460 is a full inch shorter than the 470. Performance wise, I'm still %20 shy of the 470 but the cost and the lack of heat of the 460, sway me towards it, especially if I want to cram two or three in my case without the need to waterblock the things!:eek:major

20. Mimsy

Case or no, those are still some respectable temperatures. *puts 460 on list of "things to investigate further" * :)

21. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Very nice temps. I might be building a new borg, will look into that 460. Thanks for the temp info. :cool

22. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

It's all a case of "what are your needs"
    If you are a gamer the 460 is a superb card but folding is a completely different need where you want to maximize performance.

I have a 470 and yes it does run hot but as Augie has already said the performance is better.

As with all new cards you pay a premium to get the speed.

23. augiedoggie

An error on my part as the 460 is the same length as a 470 but is a full inch shorter than the 9800GT which goes right to the edge of the mobo.

@ Bill, yup, but I'd rather have a board running @ %30 or %40 fan(basically a whisper) to an>%80 fan which is very loud IMO. That's just me.;)

Last edited: Dec 3, 2010

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds