Radeon Video card installation goes black

Discussion in 'Software' started by japikid, Jan 8, 2011.

1. japikid

japikid Private E-2

Hi, I just got this ATI Radeon HD4670 512M GDDR3 PCI-E and when I went to install it into the hard drive and plugged all the wires back in and then turned on the power my monitor would not come on. Stayed black and like it was off. Usually there was a green light on the monitor and it was orange when connected when the Radeon card is in. I unplugged everything took the card out and put it back together and I can use the monitor when the card is not in. The monitor is not original one. It does have the normal monitor plug plus an USB, but that should not make a difference. It is my first video card in this computer. Can I hook up the monitor plug right into the video card? I am a newbie with this video card stuff. Can you help please?Thank you. Ken

2. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Which OS are you using? You do connect to the monitor to the video card rather than to the motherboard connection after installation. http://images10.newegg.com/NeweggImage/productimage/14-121-274-03.jpg

When you tried the video card had you connected the monitor to the video card? If you did then when starting your computer did you see any of the normal boot or PC maker screens before Windows starts?

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Yes, as sach2 mentioned, be sure you put the blue monitor plug into the connector on the card you just installed and not the old location with the blue connector on the motherboard.

I did this a few years ago and could not figure out what was wrong. :-o
    After thinking about it for a while, I realized it was not the monitor; it was me! I then put a piece of masking tape over the old port so I wouldn't make the same mistake when I took the computer apart to clean it.

4. japikid

japikid Private E-2

Hi,
    That is exactly what I did. How embarrassing. I am glad that I am not the only one who did it. I bought this and it came with no software, so I went to the http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/downloads/download_index_01.aspx?psn=0006 and downloaded the biggest file they had there. I loaded it up and I could watch on my TV but it came with no sound only sound from the PC. Is that normal? I want to use the card just to watch PC TV on my big screen. Is there different software I should use? Can anyone recommend a free site to watch TV from? I am located in Japan and can't get much out here. So I have turned to the net for help. Thank you so much for your input and help. Ken

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds