Radeon9800 video card with 256mb of RAM (Dell Inspiron 9100) -- Good enough for HD?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by shockt327, Apr 20, 2009.

1. shockt327

shockt327 Private First Class

I currently have the 9700 that came installed. However with all the HD content that's now available over the net I really want to watch it - without all the lag. Will the 9800 do the job? Or is it too outdated? Basically, is it worth the hassle?

Thanks.

2. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

Re: Radeon9800 video card with 256mb of RAM (Dell Inspiron 9100) -- Good enough for H

A card is not really "good enough" for HD - HD is a "feature" cards support, or don't, typically to display HD graphics on a TV - as most monitors are quite capable of very high resolutions with most monitors - though a wide screen monitor is preferred. There are budget cards that do, and some very expensive and powerful cards that don't support HD content. So you need to look at the specifications and features of any card you are considering, and see if it supports HD.

That said, how much RAM does your system have? If less than 1 Gb, you would better off putting your money there first, then when budget permits, and if still needed, you can get a card.

3. shockt327

4. Digerati

Re: Radeon9800 video card with 256mb of RAM (Dell Inspiron 9100) -- Good enough for H

I am sorry - I did not pick up that this was a notebook. I think you should contact Dell and talk to them because notebooks are so proprietary, it is very likely you will need to get any upgrades from them, if there are any. Sorry again.

I did find this: http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/...cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&mfgpid=166458&chassisid=8422 - not much help, however.

5. shockt327

Oh, I'm way ahead of you. Sadly, the customer service rep told me that Dell does not have/offer info on products that they do not carry. So my attempt to ask them about 9800 was met with no answer...

6. Digerati

I think you are out of luck. Sorry again.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds