Raid Degraded!?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TigrisJK, Jun 3, 2007.

1. TigrisJK

TigrisJK Private E-2

This image should pretty much explain it all. I had to do a hard-reboot cause of a crash in Windows Vista x64, and when it booted it told me my RAID was degraded... current setup is 3 SATA Seagate Barracuda 350GBs, two in a mirrored RAID setup and one data disk... don't exactly know how it was set up since I wasn't the one who did it.

Pretty much just thinking... uhm... help? Please? I never bothered using RAID arrays before this PC so I am completely clueless when it comes to them, no idea what has gone wrong. I'm guessing the fact that I have a mirrored RAID just saved my ***, but beyond that, how do I fix it?

http://johannkwan.com/screenshots/raid.jpg

2. TigrisJK

TigrisJK Private E-2

Anyone?

3. Toke

Toke MajorGeek

This could be caused by a bad connection, check the leads to the drive that is not functioning when computer is powered off of course.

4. BCGray

BCGray Guest

It could also possible be Heat problems, bad sectors, or Dying HD........Have you done CHKDSK or some other similar utility to check your HD's

5. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi you've not said but I'll guess you can still boot to the OS as one Raid1 Mirror drive is active ( and yes Mirroring does duplicate the other drive in the array to save a copy of data ) assuming you can boot to the OS, first try Tokes suggestion adn check the cableing to the drives, then try the below link to attempt to rebuild the array

http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/imsm/sb/CS-021014.htm

6. TigrisJK

TigrisJK Private E-2

Okay, I will try all of those things (doing the rebuild being the last) tonight when I'm done work. Thanks guys, I'll let you know how it goes!

7. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Oh to add, if you can boot to the remaining HD in the array, i would be tempted to backup any important data you have on that drive to your 3rd HD as a precaution.

8. TigrisJK

TigrisJK Private E-2

I still haven't solved this though I am looking into rebuilding the mirror. Problem is the JMicron RAID BIOS tool seems to not be working for some reason. Supposedly, according to everything I've read and my mobo manual, at this point in the POST: http://www.johannkwan.com/screenshots/raid2.jpg it's supposed to prompt me to hit Ctrl+J to enter the RAID BIOS tool but it just says "Press any key to continue ..." and boots to Windows.

Hopefully I'll figure it out soon, If that doesn't work I'll probably see if I can use Halo's suggestion.

Just filling in details, thanks for all your help so far guys! =)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds