Raid drivers not being seen. XP install

Discussion in 'Software' started by iamien, Sep 8, 2003.

1. iamien

iamien Cptn "Eh!"

Ok heres my story
    I formatted PC, start up XP install, It asks for raid driver disk, i got my floppy ready. I have a Adaptec 1200a card and 2 40gig WD drives.
    This was a setup that was working perfectly last time i installed XP. Only this time i have a file not being seen. HPTxx.sys, HPTxx.inf. which are both on the diskette. using spare computer and confirmed it.
    Any idea why it might not see it properly?

2. Thunder

Thunder Private E-2

Floppy drive enabled in bios? Did you tell XP to use the drivers on the floppy instead of the ones that come with XP?

3. Thunder

Thunder Private E-2

Are those not High Point drivers? Is that what the Adaptec card uses?

4. da chicken

da chicken MajorGeek

I would get the latest drivers, put them on a floppy, and utilize the "press F6" method during install.

5. iamien

iamien Cptn "Eh!"

Swhat i am doing and Yes they are the HP drivers.
    They are whatcome with the cd rom that came with card <and also same as ones come off Site>
    I am installing via a slipstreamed disk <IE i dot need to enter regions etc> am doing the F6 method and telling it to use ones of the diskette. just got home gona play with it tonight.

6. da chicken

da chicken MajorGeek

Do you have any fixed disks attached to IDE-0 or IDE-1? IMX, Windows 2000 adamantly refuses to even detect hard drives on 3rd party controllers unless those are the only ones that are available... even when you force-fed it the controller's drivers.

Disconnect any HDD that aren't connected to your RAID array.

7. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Hey,

Pretty sure there is a .sif file that needs to be there too.

No, I am positive there is a .sif file needed to install those drivers.

The format is usually a .sif at the root of the floppy, then a winxp, xp, or windowsxp folder. The .sif file is nothing more than a text file, that tells Setup where to fetch the drivers from. Without it, they won't install, I don't think.

Best bet is to get the latest drivers off the website, as they are in the format needed for XP when you unzip them to a floppy.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2003
  8. iamien

iamien Cptn "Eh!"

turns out to be a bad floppy drive :)
    thanks for help

9. da chicken

da chicken MajorGeek

That's odd. One would think the programmers would think of bad floppies. I mean, that's why they suck. Well, that and the small size.

We so need a new technology for that.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds