RAID5 keeps degrading.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by chris-red, Oct 3, 2011.

1. chris-red

chris-red Private E-2

I have a RAID 5 Array as a storage drive on my PC, it used to be my main drive but I bought an SSD and now use that as a boot drive.

The HDD's are relatively new in the RAID array (WD Caviar Black 500gb) and the raid array will degrade randomly about twice a week, I never had any problems when it was my main drive. The thing is every time it degrades it seems to be a different drive that goes, it you mark it as normal it will rebuild and be fine for a while.

Any Ideas?

i7 930
    P6X58D-E
    Corsair M4 256 SATA3 SSD
    4x WD Caviar Black 500gb drives in RAID 5 using Intel Matrix controller.
    Windows 7 Professional

2. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Yes, it will degrade with the SSD. Personally, I would choose one or the other. There is no reason to use a SSD together with a Raid on the same machine.

3. chris-red

chris-red Private E-2

Why? they are on separate controllers.

I use it so I have a decent reliable storage and a fast OS

4. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

It does not matter. They are on the same machine, and the drive that is not on a RAID, will always degrade the raid. Been like that since the dawn of time. If you want the RAID, stick with it. If you want the SSD, stick with it, and put it in another machine. Never run two different drive setups on a single machine, because it will never play nicely as you have seen.

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Limit...5+on+the+ATA+platform+inhibit+...-a0105884199
    http://www.sharkyforums.com/showthread.php?t=177884

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds