Rainbow ring in middle of screen

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by livingbyspirit, Sep 24, 2005.

1. livingbyspirit

livingbyspirit Private E-2

My monitor has a ring in the middle of the screen that is rainbow colored. It's there even when Windows is loading. This monitor is brand new. I don't know what it is or what caused it.

2. kjanz

kjanz Corporal

holler warranty

3. Strange1

Strange1 Staff Sergeant

Sounds like it needs degaused.

Jack

4. livingbyspirit

livingbyspirit Private E-2

What is degaused?

5. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

degause is for re polarising your monitor screen if its an lcd you wont have it anyways,look for on option in your monitors OSD that says degause or a picture of a magnet :cool:

6. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Rikky is correct. Check the on screen display (OSD), or manual for your monitor, for the word "degauss" (correct spelling, BTW), an icon, or picture, of a magnet.

Failing that. go back to the firm that supplied the monitor (Warranty claim? as suggested in an earlier reply).

Did a search on google for "degauss monitor" and "degause monitor", but not much help.

Let us know how you go as I have a reference, somewhere, to a monitor manipulation program. Would take some time to search for it. Bazza
    ===

7. quirk

quirk Corporal

g4tv did a thing on building a degausser with magnets and a drill for monitors without that capability. seemed like a cheap fix.

8. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

building a degauser with drill magnets is a little extreme when your dealing with a new monitor under warranty,if it were mine I would have had a replacement by now probably a different brand or model as the batch in question may be defective.

wouldnt mind a link to the home made degauser though :)

9. quirk

quirk Corporal

extreme? maybe a little. most people have a drill and magnets aren't that hard to come by. (you don't have to drill your monitor ;P) it looked fairly simple, so i'll look for the link.

10. quirk

quirk Corporal

11. Strange1

Strange1 Staff Sergeant

Yes, you can build a degauser if you know what you are doing and have an understanding of electricity. It requires a cord plugged into a 110vac wall socket and, if not designed properly, can give you quite a shock. I suggest the warranty aproach first and then if that doesn't work, purch a degauser from an electronic supplier. The price is minimal and is always a good thing to have around. I still have one left over from my TV repair days and use it occasionally.

Jack

12. Strange1

Strange1 Staff Sergeant

13. quirk

quirk Corporal

Probably a dumb question, but what's shadowmask in a monitor, and how would degaussing screw it up?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds