Ram Advice ASAP

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Slaughter, Dec 18, 2005.

1. Slaughter

Slaughter Private E-2

I need some quick input as I may buy this ram today! :p

I am looking at getting 2x512 Crucial Ballistix DDR400 for $135cdn no tax. Should I go with this or go for the OCZ Premier 2x512 DDR400 for $115+tax cdn? Which is the better buy?

Thanks.
    -Slaughter

2. Stubby

Stubby R.I.P. (September 3, 1949 - January 26, 2011)

Well Slaughter, both brands are good and in this case it'll be a matter of personal preference....or monetary preference!! You couldn't go wrong with either brand. I have used both OCZ and Crucial and have never had a problem out of either. So, if you want to save a few bucks, go with the OCZ.

3. ibbonkers

ibbonkers First Sergeant

both are good ram go for the one with the better timing . if their identical save a few bucks :)

4. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

If your planing to OC the choice may matter as some chips have different voltage requirements or different operating temps.

Running stock system the choice probably doesnt matter, tighter timmings & price would dictate.
    Most MOBO manufactures have compatibility list's, which is list of memory that was tested with thier product.(that doesnt mean other's wont work)

If your planing on OC post links for your ram choices & provide your system spec's, then the best choice might be aquired (all memory even of the same brand/model/size are different they all have thier own kinda personalities)

5. Bambo

Bambo Private First Class

Ballistix is better ram than Premier and should be worth the extra cost - for those who need better ram. Timings are better if you dont overclock that much and overclocking fsb should also be better. PC3200 use same chip as PC4000 ram. Very compatible. Change timings to those of Premier and you should be getting pretty close to 250fsb. At least closer than with Premier. Does not need high voltage, gets quite hot - just relax timings at higher levels and 2.8 is fine - also what Crucial says they should be using.

Warrenty, how they work on your specific motherboard/bios is more important than timings.

Price is only 135$ for 2x512 Ballistix? You sure it is not ordinary Crucial CL3? Also good value-ram, some say it is like Ballistix binned to slower speed, but unless you have found Ballistix on sale Premier looks like a better buy.

6. Slaughter

Slaughter Private E-2

I bought the ballistix slightly used for 135 that's why it's so cheap. :p Hopefully it was the better choice. And it's only a $3 difference between the ocz and crucial ballistix. :p

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds