RAM and HDD upgrade Problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lock and load, Jun 1, 2009.

1. lock and load

lock and load Private E-2

OK well for my first real project was to upgrade the RAM and the HDD on my Acer Aspirer 5315.

1. I put in the new RAM and left the old HDD in so i could back up the info and so forth. Started up the computer and after the BIOS boot up (i believe that is what it is) my computer enters some pre-execution boot up, like always, and than i get a blank black screen. After that i inserted the Recovery disks and nothing would happen. Then I inserted the System Disk, and it shows the acer logo and a pop-up type window that said NO HDD.

2. So i figured OK, i inserted the new HDD, turned on the computer and that pre-execution screen said no operation system, OK that sounds right its a new HDD, so same process insert recovery CD..... nothing. Insert system CD same deal-logo screen- pop up that said no partition.

Next i tried old RAM, new HDD and got the same deal as #2. Then tried old RAM, old HDD got the same thing as #1.

I put the new RAM in, with the old HDD this time some how I got a "memory scan". Went through the process and after that went through the start deal, BIOS - pre-execution screen and got that black screen.

I am at my wits end and have no idea what else to do.

2. earlwhite05

earlwhite05 Private First Class

ok this may sound stupid but here goes......did you at any time restart your system afer putting the disks in???:confused

3. lock and load

Yes, I had to do Hard Resets every time.

4. earlwhite05

ok 1 more question is your computer set to boot from the hhd or the cd drive in the bios??:confused

5. lock and load

The boot priority order is:

1 IDEO: ST980811AS - (S1)
    2 CD/ DVD: OPTIARC CD-RW CRW880A- (PM)
    3 PCI LAN: NETWORK BOOT
    4 USB HDD:
    5 USB FDD:
    6 USB Key:
    7 USB CD/DVD ROM:

6. earlwhite05

ok try putting the cd drive as #1 in the list and see if any thing changes, try to run a disk agen and if it comes up and says boot from cd push any key to continue then press anything fast...lol... keep us posted:major

7. lock and load

I just tired that and left the computer running for about an hour and all that showed was that blank black screen.

8. earlwhite05

ok now im puzzeld.....:confused..........if it was me now i would start to think motherboard problems. other than that im outta ideas sorry:cry

9. risk_reversal

risk_reversal MajorGeek

Put the old Ram and old HDD back in then follow the advice as regards getting a Linux Live cd.

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=190876

Make sure you set the optical drive [cd/dvd] as 1st boot device in bios.

If you can boot to the [Puppy] Linux desktop you know that hw issues can be ruled out [unless it's an intermittent problem].

Good luck

10. lock and load

OK i caved and deiced to get a new laptop. At least i have a project to keep me busy. Thank for the advice!

11. earlwhite05

your welcome.....and if that "project" ever gets too crazy and you want to do something with it let me know i might be interested in buying the project off u.:major

12. lock and load

I tried risk_reversal's advice, it wouldn't work. So i pulled the HDD got the external case and the HD didn't work in any other computer (i tried 5 different computers)

I did pass this post to a friend he never knew about it.. Thanks risk_reversal

Oh and earlwhite05 I'll keep that in mind.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds