Ram and video card question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sleepinggamer, Jan 13, 2008.

1. sleepinggamer

sleepinggamer Private E-2

I just got a new laptop for x-mas its a HP pavillion dv6605us and it has a mediocre video card and 1 gig of ram so i decided to go out and get some more ram (4gigs) my question is, is there any way i can edit my ram settings ?or anything to get better performance out of my video card

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

What type of video card do you have? You may want to think about getting 2gb RAM total. 4gb is overkill and you probably won't notice a difference between 2gb and 4gb. Even though RAM is VERY cheap right now, use the saved money toward the purchase of a better card. All the RAM in the world can't help you with gaming if the video is lacking.

3. sleepinggamer

sleepinggamer Private E-2

its a nvidia geforce 7150m video card

4. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

unfortunately you cant edit your RAM settings (timings mainly) or any frequencies (CPU or RAM) on systems like HP's with locked BIOSes. You can however DL nTune which gives you access to GPU clock speeds (u used to get coolbits, then NVtweak, now nVidia supports it themselves) Id be careful with OCing on a laptop though, things get really hot really fast.

Also, upgrading video cards on laptops are very difficult, if not impossible. A quick google search should help u figure out if it's possible with your model or series of laptops

5. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Yeah- 2gb RAM and a video card upgrade is a much better idea than 4gb RAM and staying with the GeForce 7150m... if I'm not mistaken, that's built in or on board video. The PC should have a PCI-Express video expansion slot. When a card is installed in that slot, it will over-ride the built in video.... there are plenty of good PCI-E video cards on the market for about $100 these days. Just search at Newegg or TigerDirect....

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds