RAM installation question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rylee816, Aug 15, 2005.

1. rylee816

rylee816 Private E-2

I own a Dell dimension 3000 currently with 128 megs of RAM. I just bought a new 512 meg DDR chip and want to install it. My question: Do I have to remove the original 128 meg card, or can I add the 512 for a total of 640 megs of RAM? Will my computer work properly?

I am also installing a new graphics card.......which would be more convenient for me to install first?......the graphics card or the ram?

Thanks in advance for any advice

2. InYearsToCome

InYearsToCome MajorGeek

are they the same kind of RAM? same speed?

if the new stick is better RAM, then you should remove the old 128MB stick, as it would limit the speed of the new RAM. If they are the same speed, running both shouldnt be a problem.

I would recommend installing the RAM first and verifying it works properly.

when you're ready for the video card, first uninstall your current graphics driver, then power off, install the new card, and boot to windows to install the new drivers. it is often recommended to use Driver Cleaner in safe mode after uninstalling your old drivers to avoid complications.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds