RAM not working monitor not registering

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hdunn23, Jan 6, 2011.

1. hdunn23

hdunn23 Private E-2

i have a Compaq presario desktop and i recently bought 2 sticks of pc3200 DDR 1gb ram to replace my 1 stick of 512gb pc2700 DDR ram. When i installed them into my motherboard and turned on my computer, my monitor didn't show a signal. i know i installed the ram correctly and i know its the right type because i ran a crucial scan and it told me to use pc3200 with a max of 2gb. I even tried mixing the ram in all different combination with the 3 sticks. But when i put the old 512gb stick back in, than my computer monitor works like normal. please help me!!!

2. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Welcome to Major Geeks.

Hope you checked to ensure that you were getting the correct type of memory to go with your OS.
    What OS are you running?
    What type of RAM (numbers) did you get?
    Should probably use low-density non-ECC type unless running a 64-bit system.

3. hdunn23

hdunn23 Private E-2

i use windows xp and the item number for the ram i think is: "370233780764" and im not sure what low density or high density ram is. and what is non-ECC

4. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

XP home or Pro?
    ECC is Error Correcting. Used by 64-bit systems.
    Not intended for 32-bit OSs.

5. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

hrlow, I thought ECC memory was purposed solely for servers.

Most "run of the mill" PCs will not like them very much.

I searched the part number provided at Crucial, even though it did not look like one of theirs. TigerDirect, and Newegg also use alphanumeric part numbers. No results returned.

Where did you buy this RAM?

Does the label on it say ECC?

6. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

I stand corrected on the ECC.
    Is used primarily by servers.

7. hdunn23

hdunn23 Private E-2

if you google the part number i think something comes up. i got it from ebay. and i think my os is home.

8. the mekanic

First thing Google returned, was UPS.

Looks like that's your tracking number, for shipping.

9. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Shows as XTreme RAM product.
    Also shows as low density, non-ECC.
    What is the model number of your Presario?

10. hdunn23

hdunn23 Private E-2

i believe this is the model number: PW532AA-ABA SR1403WM NA520

11. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

If you got the memory from eBay, post the part number printed on the label of the memory, we can check if you have the right memory with that number. (On Crucial memory it's CT-something)

When you tried mixing the RAM in all different combination, did you test just one of the new ones by itself in the slot the old RAM used to be installed to? The slot that used to be empty might be dead, and if it is, then your computer won't run unless you leave that slot empty. So test them one by one in the slot you know works, and when we know what happens when you do that we can continue from there.

And your computer is a Presario SR1403WM. :)

Last edited: Jan 6, 2011
  12. the mekanic

13. Mimsy

He has to, the machine only has two memory slots. :p

Sorry, couldn't resist. :-o ;)

14. the mekanic

DUH!

:tired

Sorry, it's getting late...

15. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

16. Mimsy

It is late! We should each be relaxing on our respective couches with a good book. What are we doing online!?! LOL

17. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

I'll soon be relaxing.
    In bed.

18. Mimsy

*shudder*

That item description is so filled with ignorance and incorrect "facts" I'm tempted to report the seller just on general principle... but that part should work in OP's Presario.

So now we're just waiting for the part numbers from the sticks themselves. :)

19. the mekanic

Methinks the gent who wrote the speil, not speak English as first language...

:-D

20. Mimsy

He doesn't know anything about RAM either. No wonder my poor customers are so misinformed! :-D

21. hdunn23

hdunn23 Private E-2

i have tried the sticks of RAM in all combination of my two slots and none of them work except with the one i originally had. the sticks have a label, and it says: "DDR 128X8 400 1G 4910"

22. Mimsy

In that case it's either the wrong parts somehow, or they're both dead. Sorry. :(

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds