ram sticks different value

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BILLMCC66, Oct 17, 2009.

1. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

I am running 8gb of ram on Vista ultimate X 64bit
    but the sticks are in two pairs of different value so will the system run at the speed of the slowest????

Thanks
    Bill

Attached Files:

2. natedigity

natedigity Private E-2

yes. i'm almost positive they will.

3. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

I am 100% certain they will. ;)

The RAM runs as a single unit in the PC, so it all has to be the same speed. Since standard RAM can't automatically over-clock itself, it clocks down to match the slower memory instead.

4. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Wow Bill, that's a lot of real estate!;):cool Much more than a couple of VMs would need, you get that i5 or i7 already?

5. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

The i7 is on hold for the moment.

6. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

I suspected that was the case, i will haul the slower pair out and just run 4gb for the moment.

7. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

I have an Intel quad 6600 running on this machine with a Foxconn ELA digital board so i think it's better if i pull the slower ram out.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds