Ran memtest86 found probs, now have OS or sys probs, AGHHH HELP!!!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bold Eagle, Apr 7, 2006.

1. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

Before tweaking with any RAM timings:

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=89283

I have been establishing some "baseline" benchmarks and stability tests (BST).

Anyway I was running memtest86 and in its second "run" it found errors, ~23 or 26, during test 6 giving addresses for locations, etc. Tried to find a print (or generate) report option but couldn't find it!

Anyway loading up the OS I went into my profile and found below. It seems one of the addresses on my RAM has become impaired and now my programs aren't "populating" properly as start-up apps. This is concerning as NOD32 has become impaired to the extent it isn't functioning, Outpost FW has to be manually started and Windows Defender won't even respond! I would have guessed this was a spyware issue (all security knocked out) if I had'nt been using memtest86 immediately before all this happened. I realise this could be in either the software/hardware or spyware sections it's just memtest86 get's used by OC and they may be more experienced with this app.

2. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

Any suggs here greatly appreciated.

Sys still under warranty and if it is a RAM stick should be able to easily get it replaced. How can I ID which and what would be the best way to communicate with the shop?

Or is it simply a matter of removing and replacing the RAM to "refresh" (sceptical off this myself)

Attached Files:

3. Crisis

Crisis Private E-2

Have you stopped any services recently? Try going to a command prompt and enter "net start windefend"

If you get the same message try going to add and remove programs and click change, that should bring up the maintenance window.

I think this is a problem with windows defender.

4. splitt3r

splitt3r You are now the victim of a drive by title change

Since memtest found errors, it probably is a hardware problem with a RAMstick, is the RAM set to it's stock clock now? I would try taking out each stick one at a time to see if that solves the prob.

5. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

Update: Have restarted sys several times and exact same error msg & no. is occuring, i.e. access to the "hexidecimal reference add" on the RAM. Splittr is onto it! It is a hardware RAM issue.

Reason being is above plus it is not only Wind Defend (WD) being affected but also NOD32 (can't do nothing with), Outpost FW (now have to manually start) and I'm not sure what else.

Rang shop and they asked if it was the "exact" same no. and err msg and said yea (at the time I didn't know but wanted to "gauge" their response) and they said RAM iss. bring it in today and will change it over. So seeming I have the oppurtunity I asked for a 2 x 1Gb upgrade and how much (full refund on 1 stik not sure about the other) and they said they have to order the RAM and to come in Monday, they've been very good.

This never occured until I ran memtest86 for >1 pass (sys be goin so fine, even with AGP anchor) but now occurs every time I boot. I stopped memtest86 part way through it's 2nd run could this have caused this?!? Just not sure whether;
    a. memtest86 just exposed the errors, or
    b. created them

any feedback greatly appreaciated.

6. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

Just so you know I did try all this but still believe it is hardware as I noticed a few threads on google about it.

7. ACE 256

ACE 256 MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Overclocking Expe

Have you ran prime or S&M? Are other prgrams crashing to or just the security ones ? Sounds like its a software issue to me. Sorry for the late responce, busy weakend :rolleyes:...

8. TollhouseFrank

TollhouseFrank Private First Class

just pull the ram and Reseat it. Believe it or not, this has worked for me in the past.

9. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

ACE256 it's the W/E you have to have r&r and can't be expected to respond to individuals crisis's. I fully appreaciate your feedback.

No not yet I want to go to the links and read about them and understand each thouroughly (which I didn't w memtest86) but I have now. I did what Crisis said wrt to windows defender and it seemed to have repaired the err msg and no. (doesn't appear anymore). Then I installed memtest86 onto another floppy (make sure the other floppy wasn't dodgy) and reran it for 3 passes (about 1 hour) attempting to ensure not a false positive and no errors?!?!?

Then I restarted and still Firewall and NOD32 wouldn't load as startup apps but other security was,i.e. Pest Patrol & Spyware Guard. I ripped off the side cover and removed a stick, restarted but these two apps didn't load, replaced and removed other stick and same again, so both sticks have been reseated again. Uninstalled both with Your Uninsatller! 2006 (tidies up the reg as well) and they both are working as start up apps again.

System seems to be fine again but bloody confused about this. Think I might try memtest86+ v.1.6x (it seems a bit later than memtest86) and see what this states.

I like this memtest86 app and glad I ran it before any timing tweaks (OC in another month when it's colder) to find potential err that everyday useage won't find.

Anyway will do a fair bit more benchmarking and stability testing (BEAST) before any tweaking to ensure I can BEAST my sys properly.

10. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

Ran memtest86+ v1.65 had troubles creating the floppy and had to do it on the lappy, this may be part of the prob (quality of the floppy write for first attempt).
    Ran it for 3 passes and No Errors so I'm geussing a False Positive. Thats 6 passes with 2 ver of the app so I'm feeling confident.

I have to agree with you ACE that was to many errors within the one test (6 not 5 or 8 which affects the AMD) from what i have gathered on the sites for this app and if it were true that stick of RAM shouldn't have been functioning well at all. Hope I haven't wasted anyones time but hopefully this will inform others of the potnetial for False Positives with this app and to run it again.

ACE having troubles finding a decent explanotory article on S&M in English, still looking but any links?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds