Random Boot Loops/slow loading with XP

Discussion in 'Software' started by fr0zt72, Mar 13, 2004.

1. fr0zt72

fr0zt72 Private E-2

Hey,
    I have a problem with my windows xp. After the loading screen it will do one of these things:

Wait for about 90 seconds with black screen then reboot.
    Wait 90 seconds with black screen, then windows starts normal.
    Reboot right away.

I have:

MSI Kt4v-L motherboard
    ATI Radeon 9600xt
    Lite-ON CDRW
    MX310 mouse
    1 WD 40 gig
    1 Maxtor 80 gig
    Audigy Gamer
    512mb RAM
    Athlon 2000+ XP

This thing has like 50f idle temp so i doubt it overheats and runs fine in games etc.

2. DanTekGeek

DanTekGeek Master Sergeant

have you recently added, changed, or taken out any hardware? installed or uninstalled any programs? deleted any possibly crucial files?

3. fr0zt72

fr0zt72 Private E-2

i have added a new hard drive and changed from a radeon 9600se to 9600xt. otherwise nope..

4. DanTekGeek

well, those are some very important things, sounds like a problem with the drivers for the video card or the hard drive

5. alanc

alanc MajorGeek

Have you reinstalled your ATI drivers since installing the 9600xt? If not, try that.

6. fr0zt72

fr0zt72 Private E-2

yes i am at the current version

7. DanTekGeek

could be that it finds the new hard drive and dosent recognise it

8. fr0zt72

fr0zt72 Private E-2

i realized that the cd-rom light stays lit through like 3/4 of the time it does this.. if i take a cd out it just stays blank. after the lgiht goes out the hdd light stays lit.

9. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

A wise man once said...

10. fr0zt72

fr0zt72 Private E-2

it boots safe mode normally it looks like. no long wait

11. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Go to msconfig.

Start, run, msconfig.

Click OK.

Disable everything. Under services, leave System Restore and Plug and Play services running.

Reboot back to normal mode and test.

If it works, narrow it down.

12. fr0zt72

fr0zt72 Private E-2

nope didnt work :( is there a way in xp to log booting to a file to read what its loading that takes so long? ---- in the event viewer in computer management, theres a string of errors that say either:

The device, \Device\Harddisk0\D, has a bad block.

-or-

DCOM got error "The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it. " attempting to start the service netman with arguments "" in order to run the server:
    {BA126AE5-2166-11D1-B1D0-00805FC1270E}

Last edited: Apr 6, 2004
  13. General_Lee_Stoned

General_Lee_Stoned BuZZed Lightyear

You posted that its rebooting
    Can you right click My Computer, properties, advanced, start up and recovery, and uncheck the box automatically restart and apply
    This should present you with a blue screen with some information on the error rather than restarting

Did you disable everything under the start-up tab in msconfig as well as all third party services

If you are getting bad blocks on the hard drive have you tried the manufacturors diagnostic software

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds