Random Freezing Issues...

Discussion in 'Software' started by Runemaul, Feb 4, 2016.

1. Runemaul

Runemaul Private E-2

I've got a computer I built myself a few years ago, and for the last two or three weeks, I've been having an issue where either in a game, or playing a video, the image will freeze (normally with some 'glitching' on the image) for about 4-10 seconds. The audio will continue to work, and after a moment, the image flashes forward to catch up with the audio.

For hardware, I have a AMD FX -8350 processor, AMD HD-7950-DC2-3GD5-V2 video card, Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 mobo, Corsair Force GS 2 TB HDD, and 16 gigs of G.Skill gaming memory. (Edit: I've been keeping an eye on my GPU temp's, and it's around 42-45 at idle, and playing Fallout 4, tops out at around 62.)

I'm running Windows 7 Pro 64, and it's up to date. I've run the AMD Cleanup Utility to clear drivers/software, and then installed the Crimson Edition latest update for AMD drivers/software. I also deleted and reinstalled my Realtek audio drivers, Scanned and defragged my HDD, ran Microsoft Fix-It, etc.

Did most of the normal troubleshooting, and haven't been able to come up with a fix for it. It's not making games/videos unplayable, but it is very annoying. I've attached my DxDiag.txt if that will help. If there is any other info needed, I'll get it posted asap. Thanks in advance for your help.

Attached Files:

2. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

Hi, that description sounds very much like a TDR 0x117, the best troubleshooting page I know of for that is here.

3. Runemaul

Runemaul Private E-2

Thanks for the reply. That didn't seem to be the same as the issue I am having. I'm not getting a black screen or anything like that...the best way I can describe it, is that it almost looks like the image has gone somewhat pixelated, like the image is breaking up in pixels. I read another post someone had, and slightly increased the voltage on my video card. The 'glitched' look has mostly gone away, but the images still freeze for 3-5 seconds. CPU/GPU temps still seem to be in acceptable range. Not sure what to look for next.

4. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

As per your attached DxDiag.txt file, D3D9 Overlay and DXVA-HD are not supported. I have onboard graphics and they are supported.
    There's a little known update for DirectX 9.0c, 10, 10.1 & 11 called DirectX June 2010.
    I suggest you install it and whether prompted or not, restart the PC.
    Here's the offline installer.
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8109

satrow likes this.
  5. Runemaul

Runemaul Private E-2

I installed the update, and the glitching/artifacting issue seems to be solved, but I'm still getting occasional freezing in video, and about half the time I've noticed some stutter in the audio as well. When it get the error, the video stops, and the audio stutters like a CD that is skipping. Any other suggestions as to what to try? I'd rather not have to do a full reinstall, but this has gotten to the point it's annoying enough that it's not out of the question.

6. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

Again, signs of a TDR in my experience, back to #2? Start by switching drivers?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds