Random Odd Computer Lock Ups (Vista)

Discussion in 'Software' started by ProgenitorVirus, Sep 15, 2009.

1. ProgenitorVirus

ProgenitorVirus Private E-2

Hi there,

Recently I've been having some odd lock-ups on Windows Vista 32-bit.

It started when I was running Resident Evil 1 on PSX emulator (Don't flip people, I own the game, my PS1 just died).

Since then, I've done 3 or 4 complete reformats, but the problem persists.

The problem I can't seem to link to a specific issue, it happens under any type of use, light or heavy. I can stress test fine, yet using Firefox, it can crash (No specific websites), or my TV tuner, where when it locks-up, the sound starts stuttering rapidly.

The lock-up is that the screen freezes, I can't use Keyboard, Mouse, anything, except the Reset/Power button. Harddrive activity ceases.

I've used Seatools DOS Boot Disc to check both my Seagate 500 and 1000 GB HDDs, Short and Long tests passed.

I tried memtest86+ for 6 hours with no errors, and Window's version of a memory check for 6 hours with no errors.

Temps are fine, it isn't overheating, generally CPU is 42-45, and NB is 35-40

There is no rhyme or reason to these lock ups, as I've said, it just stops, if there's sound, it stutters, no mouse/keyboard, and no HDD activity.

It can happen from every few hours to once every few days.

Can anybody please offer some ideas? I'm at wits end here.

Any input/advice appreciated

Here's the specs:

ASUS P5N-D Motherboard
    Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 (Stock)
    2 GB Kingston DDR2 667 (Stock)
    Ultra LSP 750 Watt Power Supply
    Seagate Barracuda 500 GB (OS)
    Seagate BArracuda 1000 GB (Data)
    2 XFX 8800 GT Alpha Dog Edition Video Cards (Stock)

I just recieved one moments ago with Task Manager open, and nothing seemed to be out of the ordinary, 950 MB of RAM was being used, CPU was 10%, Page File was 1114/4332M, at the moment of crash.

Can anybody help me find a solution, or even just single-out the problem?

--

A development, I just got another Lock-Up, when using my TV Tuner with VirtualDub. The system got incredibly slow, but mouse was still moving, nothing was really responding. Only after a minute or two of this did the complete lock-up occur.

--

Does this even sound like software, I think its hardware, but what could it be?

Last edited: Sep 15, 2009
  2. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Hmm, you've done about everything. You try running without the tuner card or any other not needed device installed/attached? Your SATA cables well seated with a positive fit? Tried a different PSU or video card? I'm grasping at straws here, obviously. Good luck man, intermittents are the worst!

Last edited: Sep 15, 2009
  3. ProgenitorVirus

ProgenitorVirus Private E-2

I don't think its the tuner, I actually bought the USB version of it (ATI 650) because I like to limit my PCI cards in case of issues, like this one XD

My system was taken down to pretty basic, 1 VGA, 1 HDD, but then again, it only really HAD 2 VGAs, 2 HDDs and a Tuner anyways

I think my friend will let me try his PSU, as his mobo for his new build won't be getting there.

But I guess I have everybody stumped -_____- I've tried many different forums, with little yield, though your assumptions tend to match mine.

I'll try my friends GPU, hopefully it makes my PC stop hating life

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds